Free NHS eye tests

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

charlie1431
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Free NHS eye tests

Postby charlie1431 » Tue 19 Jun 2018 2:44 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this is not the right place to post - 1st time I have posted but looking for a bit of advice on the eligibility of free NHS eye tests.

Last year I had my eyes tested at a local opticians and they informed me that I could have free eye tests under the complex lenses scheme. My prescription was -10.

This year my KC has progressed and my prescription is an 11. the optician said I could have a free eye test but has since phoned me today, 2 weeks later to say that unfortunately I can't and need to go and pay the £25 fee.

They were only going to put an 8 in my lenses (I think they are a 7 at the moment) as she said I wouldn't be able to cope with the difference.
Sorry, the figures on prescriptions always confuse me & I don't understand them.

Does anyone know the parameters for a free eye test under the complex lenses scheme, please?

I find it strange it was free last year but not this year when they have worsened.

Many thanks for your help.

Charlotte

Lia Williams

Re: Free NHS eye tests

Postby Lia Williams » Tue 19 Jun 2018 6:45 pm

Hi Charlotte,

The criteria for a free eye test are on the NHS website:

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcos ... costs.aspx

One of entitlements for a free NHS sight test if you:

"are eligible for an NHS complex lens voucher"

and to be eligible for a complex voucher your lenses need to be either -10/+10 dioptres or more, or prism-controlled bifocal lenses.

So if your prescription was for -11 then I believe that you would qualify for a free eye test.

Lia

charlie1431
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Re: Free NHS eye tests

Postby charlie1431 » Wed 20 Jun 2018 9:59 pm

Thank you for your reply Lia.

I had seen this site but had not come across about the information on the complex lenses so thanks very much for showing me this.

I have spoken to another opticians today and I think the reason I am not entitled to a free eye test is it was 2 weeks short of been 12 months. And as you probably know you are only entitled to one free eye test in 12 months.

Thanks again
Charlotte

Return to “General Discussion Forum”