3D printed human corneas are a reality!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

3D printed human corneas are a reality!

Postby Rob Armstrong » Wed 30 May 2018 7:25 pm

I've been waiting for these to become a reality for years - then within a few weeks of giving in and going on the waiting list for a graft I read this - typical!

This could be a real game changer...

Scientists in Newcastle have announced they are now able to print made to measure human corneas, using a combination of stem cells, collagen and alginate - here's a link to the article...

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/30/sci ... ccounter=1

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Re: 3D printed human corneas are a reality!

Postby space_cadet » Wed 30 May 2018 9:23 pm

as a geek with access to a 3d printer, very interested in the possibilities of this.

Must get to bed n not spend the night trying to work out logistics ...
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

DavidGable
Committee
Committee

Postby DavidGable » Thu 31 May 2018 5:34 pm

Thank you. This is worth sharing so I have put a post on our website. May I add your name?

https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/in ... n-corneas/

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Rob Armstrong » Thu 31 May 2018 8:45 pm

Hi - yes, of course. Anything to help. I'm in a bit of a dilemma now having thought about it some more. I've been putting off getting my second graft done for 15 years hoping for something like this to come along, and less than 3 weeks ago I gave in and asked to be put on the waiting list. I'd decided that I could go on waiting forever in vain and end up not living life to the fullest. I wasn't sure about it, still reluctant, but I'd made my choice. Don't know what to do for the best now. I could wait a bit longer and get a custom made cornea using my own stem cells (so no chance of rejection?) Which makes the idea of trying to patch a piece of somebody else's cornea onto my eye seem much less appealing. But then it's a tried and tested method versus something unknown. Like, how precisely will they be able to control the optical properties of the manufactured corneas - how long will they last etc? But then to have waited all those years and then give in so close to this finally becoming a reality
Sorry - that turned into a bit of a rant...

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Thu 31 May 2018 9:16 pm

lol no worries re rants I am no stranger to them myself.

My left eye urgently needed a graft, I refused due to all the complications the right had and continues to have. Left rapidly deteriorated due to over compensating for all the trauma that my right endured, I was told about a year - 18 months ago that whilst the left did urgently need a graft it is now too burked for a graft to be of use hence why I have as good as embraced being legally blind n tend to refer to myself as blind rather than someone with extreamly unlucky KC as it is easier for the sighted world to grasp, plus I use a long cane to aid my mobility and have for 8 years now.

anyways I digress, 3d printed cornea sounds something that Id be potentially willing to give a whirl to if it was offered to me, due to both the geek aspect of it but also the medical science side of isn't it epic what brains can create to help us!

inbox me if you want to rant - vent - or just geek about this!!
Lea x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

DavidGable
Committee
Committee

Postby DavidGable » Thu 31 May 2018 10:00 pm

Thank you Rob, I have attributed the post to you. We have only recently updated our website and can now post news instantly, so its good that members like you alert us to this kind of development.

On the subject of grafts, I'm afraid I am biased but they have been the best thing that has happened to me. My surgeon had a reputation for not operating unless it was absolutely necessary. However, when the lenses became too difficult to wear he agreed to operate. That was 32 years ago for my left eye and 23 years for my right. I wear spectacles to correct an astigmatism.

When I spoke to my surgeon recently, he explained how much trouble he use to take over checking the quality of the material and matching the age of the donor. If you are going to be an early adopter of the new technology you need to ask a lot of questions.

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Rob Armstrong » Thu 31 May 2018 11:34 pm

Hi - cheers. I'm the opposite, my first graft went really well - I was getting by unaided for a while. But after 3 years I started popping all my stitches, and each time one was removed I developed increasing astigmatism. Luckily I ran out of stitches before I reached the limit of glasses prescriptions! (but apparently it's very close). My vision now is not as good with glasses as it was initially unaided. BUT I REALLY do appreciate how lucky I've been, hearing people's stories like yours just reinforces this. Part of the reason I haven't leapt at the offer of the second graft is because I doubt I'll be so lucky twice. I have a lot to think about...

DavidGable
Committee
Committee

Postby DavidGable » Fri 01 Jun 2018 6:14 am

Interesting, my first graft had continuous stitches that were removed in one go and that is the best one. My second had individual stitches that were removed two at a time and that has left an astigmatism of 7 which is managable.

Good luck.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”