Vision with sclerals

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

malluc
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Vision with sclerals

Postby malluc » Mon 07 May 2018 11:55 am

Hi whoever reads this! Ive never joined a forum etc but I figured this was a good way to ask my question. I’m on day three of a scleral lense- which has been life changing. I can see really well for the first time in a long time- I was using a piggy back system and a small rpg contact. My question is this- my vision with my new lens is at its best within the first hour of wearing. I wouldn’t say I get any fogging but my vision deceases as the day goes on. Is this normal? It’s still better than it was, so I’m happy but I’m not sure if this a normal thing or I should go back in for another dreaded fitting. Thanks very much :)

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: Vision with sclerals

Postby John Smith » Tue 08 May 2018 12:35 pm

Hi Malluc, and welcome to the forum!

You might need a better fitting lens, but try taking the lens out, cleaning it if it looks to be full of gunk, refilling with saline and re-inserting.
I find that over time (and only sometimes), my lens gradually loses the saline. Because scleral lenses are really just containers for the "liquid lens", without the liquid, they're not as good.

Hope you sort your problems out soon.

John
John

malluc

Postby malluc » Tue 08 May 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks!

dalbeath
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dalbeath » Wed 16 May 2018 2:05 pm

I have had sclerals for a few years and assuming the fit is ok, if I have vision problems it is generally due to solutions. If I don't get the solutions right then the lens does not 'wet' properly so over time it gets foggy.

I know everyone is different but what works for me is:-
At night once I have cleaned the lens using a cleaning solution. Rinse off the cleaning agent and thoroughly dry the lens.
Put dry lens in a dry container and fill with Boston conditioning solution
In morning take out of the conditioning solution but don't rinse it off
Top lens up with saline.

I get about 14 hours a day wear now without loss of vision. But before I was cleaning the conditioning solution off as I did not know it was safe to put in eye. So lens was not properly lubricated and the outside did not wet properly.

If you put some saline or drops in your eye does your vision get better> For a few minutes? If so it is most likely a solution problem

malluc

Postby malluc » Wed 16 May 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks very much! Turns out I’m allergic to the BA conditioning solution. For storage I use a h poroxide system that turns to saline. I was using that saline to fill the lens for insertion and have trialing single use vials of saline as well. I find I have better vision long term throughout the day with the single use vials of saline- not sure what that’s all about but it works. I did try filling with a few drops of artificial tears and saline but it didn’t do much.
Thanks very much for your response! :)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”