Corneal Graft...

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GeorgeJennings
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Corneal Graft...

Postby GeorgeJennings » Fri 04 May 2018 5:08 pm

Hey,

I was diagnosed about a year ago with a very rapid development of KC and I had a crosslinking in each eye and now in September I'm due to have a graft on my left eye... Considering the pain for crosslinking was unbearable afterwards I have concerns about a graft.

Thanks for any help anyone provides!
-George

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Corneal Graft...

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 05 May 2018 5:19 pm

Hi George and welcome,
It's disappointing to hear that, despite CXL, you need a graft on one eye - something that I think is pretty rare. I had grafts in both eyes 30 or so years ago (before crosslinking had been invented) and a regraft in one eye more recently. From all I've read here about the pain levels some people experience immediately after CXL (which do vary a lot from one person to another) they sound much worse than what you'd get with a graft. In fact, I didn't experience any pain as such post op - the eye did feel uncomfortable and 'gunky' for a few weeks, but that was it. And that seems to be true for most people post graft. So you've probably been through the worst of it! There's quite a few forum users who have had grafts, so do ask any other questions and we'll try to answer them. Do you know whether it's a full graft you'll be having or a partial one (DALK)?

nixy
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby nixy » Tue 08 May 2018 12:41 pm

I had a graft six years ago to one eye. Not painful at all when you think about how many stitches and the surgical procedure involved. The eye is uncomfortable of course, very weepy, sticky and gunky for a few weeks. You wear a plastic eye shield to protect at night. Plus of work for a about 1-month depending on your job. My work is desk-based in an office.

dalbeath
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby dalbeath » Wed 16 May 2018 2:10 pm

I had my right eye CXL about 6 years ago. It was one of the worst experiences I have had and the pain was terrible.

I had a graft in my left eye 18 months ago. A couple of hours after the surgery I had 2 paracetamol and that was only really because the hospital told me too. No pain at all. Give me a graft over CXL in terms of pain any day :-)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”