Kerasoft Lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Babba
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Kerasoft Lenses

Postby Babba » Fri 27 Apr 2018 4:08 pm

I always thought the general rule of thumb (obviously very general since cornea shapes are based on the individual) was that:
Mild Keratoconus: Glasses
Moderate Keratoconus: Soft Lenses
Severe Keratoconus: Rigid Lenses

However, I've read about these Kerasoft Lenses which claim to fit any degree of Keratoconus. Has anyone tried this an if so is this true? Always thought you needed tear reservoir and soft lenses wrap to the shape of the irregular cornea etc. And if so why don't more Optoms give these out. I used both semi-scleral and smaller RGPs over the past two years. Both uncomfortable and the smaller RGPs move about too much on the eye.

Lia Williams

Re: Kerasoft Lenses

Postby Lia Williams » Fri 27 Apr 2018 5:28 pm

Hi Babba,

Babba wrote:I always thought the general rule of thumb (obviously very general since cornea shapes are based on the individual) was that:
Mild Keratoconus: Glasses
Moderate Keratoconus: Soft Lenses
Severe Keratoconus: Rigid Lenses

As a rule of thumb you are correct but keratoconus varies so much from person to person with different lenses suiting different people.

I've not tried Kerasoft. When I was going through a re-fit a few years ago I asked whether they would be work for me. I was told that as I wore RGPs it would take a while for my corneas to de-mould from RGP wear so to achieve an optimum prescription with a Kerasoft lens a few changes would be required. The optometrist also believed that it would be possible, in my case, to achieve comfort and visual acuity with RGPs.

I have met a few people who use Kerasoft lenses and think they are brilliant. One of whom does not get as good vision as they did with RGPs but the comfort and wearing time is much improved. Another person gets not only much better comfort than they had with RGPs but also much better vision. As I said different lenses suit different people.

Have a look at GarethB's posts on the forum. He gets excellent vision with them.

Babba wrote:Always thought you needed tear reservoir and soft lenses wrap to the shape of the irregular cornea etc.

Yes, this is why standard soft lenses are only suitable for mild keratoconus. Kerasoft lenses are a special design which I believe are much stiffer in the centre - but still 'soft'.

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”