New glasses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Donnypaul
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

New glasses

Postby Donnypaul » Mon 16 Apr 2018 5:53 am

With a sphere of +2.25 and cly of 7.25 I am finding it hard to find places on line to get glasses because high street shops are so expensive, any surgestions welocome

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Re: New glasses

Postby space_cadet » Tue 17 Apr 2018 7:26 am

a good friend uses the website glassesdirect as can imput whatever the rx is
he doesnt have KC tho
good luck x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

nixy
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby nixy » Wed 25 Apr 2018 12:04 pm

I have a very similar problem - very strong prescription. Combined is around 16 when add the Power + Cyl.

I get mine from Asda who are very helpful at my local large Asda Walmart Superstore in Bristol.
Their pricing is fixed regardless of prescription strength. My lenses cost around £40 + cost of frame.
The guy at store does have to do some 'fudging' of the pricing and numbers to get the prescription strength into the computer system.

I suspect they do this at a loss leader due to flat pricing model.

Other local opticians used to charge me around £250 for lenses alone which became hard to afford every 9 months as my eyes changed so quickly.

I now buy cheap frames from Asda because its included in their flat pricing. Overall it costs around £60 all in. I get my prescription and sight test from the eye hospital and just take this to Asda.

indium
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby indium » Wed 02 May 2018 1:03 pm

Specsavers also have a flat pricing model, where all lenses cost the same. I have been told that they cost Specsavers more than they charge me so I suspect that nixy is right and they do it as a loss leader.

I would love to be able to get glasses from 1 of the online retailers (SpecSavers usually takes 2 weeks to make my glasses) but i've yet to be able to find any that go as far as my prescription. I only wear glasses when I can't wear lenses though.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”