Contact Lens Irritation

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Babba
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Contact Lens Irritation

Postby Babba » Fri 06 Apr 2018 1:17 am

So I've been trying different contact lenses for just over two years now and regardless of which combination different opticians give me, the contact lenses still cause problems. I am currently using piggybacking with RGP and soft. I thought these would be good because they are more comfortable than any lenses I've had before, however after two days of wearing them some of the old issues seem to come back. My eyes hurt and start to get red but only at the top of my iris. Everywhere else is fine and the sclera everywhere else feels fine and is white, Just red at the top
I got this even when I had semi-scleral lenses fitted. Is this a common problem? Oh and I take good care of my lenses, I myself am a clean freak so poor lens leaning isn't a reason I think.

Lia Williams

Re: Contact Lens Irritation

Postby Lia Williams » Fri 06 Apr 2018 9:23 am

Babba wrote:My eyes hurt and start to get red

Hi Babba,

Your eyes shouldn't hurt or get red when wearing contact lenses.

Cleaning regime is certainly one thing that can cause a problem. If the cleaning solution isn't rinsed off a lens before it is put in the eye it can sting and cause it to go red. Another thing that can cause problems is if you build up your wear time faster than you should. Generally it is recommended that with a new type of lens, depending on the type of lens, that wear time is built up over a few weeks.

If you are following your optician's instructions and your eye is sore it is probably best to ask them to have a look as they will be able to see what is causing the irritation.

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”