Trying to get referred to Moorfields

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

JaySingh1
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Trying to get referred to Moorfields

Postby JaySingh1 » Tue 02 Jan 2018 7:28 pm

Hi all!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I am trying to get referred to Moorfields but my gp won't refer me (I live in Leeds but I'm moving to London at the end of the month)

Does anyone know the best way of getting a referral?

Many thanks

Jay

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Trying to get referred to Moorfields

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 02 Jan 2018 8:12 pm

Hi Jay,
Is your KC currently being monitored at a hospital in Leeds? If so, then the hospital should be able to refer you. If not, then I'm not sure what to suggest and don't really understand why your GP won't refer you. It might mean waiting until you're registered with a GP in London.

JaySingh1

Postby JaySingh1 » Tue 02 Jan 2018 9:17 pm

Anne Klepacz wrote:Hi Jay,
Is your KC currently being monitored at a hospital in Leeds? If so, then the hospital should be able to refer you. If not, then I'm not sure what to suggest and don't really understand why your GP won't refer you. It might mean waiting until you're registered with a GP in London.

The gp said "it may be financially impossible" for them to refer me. I'm in the process of registering with a gp in London and should be a patient of theirs by next week but I was wondering if there's a quicker way.of getting a referral.

Has anyone gone private with Moorfields?
I've been told the only way of rectifying my condition is through a corneal transplant which I definitely do not want.

RichardL
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby RichardL » Wed 03 Jan 2018 5:34 pm

Hi Jay,

I went private to speed up my treatment, then got referred back to NHS for ongoing care. Moorfields Private are very good, I would definitely recommend them.

I think you could get a first consultation for around £150, and they would probably be happy to refer you to NHS after that before it starts becoming expensive.

Good luck

Richard

Ali Akay
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Ali Akay » Wed 03 Jan 2018 9:46 pm

Hi Jay
The easiest way, by far, is to get registered with a GP in London and ask him/her to refer you. In theory, you have the right to demand your GP to refer you to anywhere in the country, but, in practice, it's often not as easy as that.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Thu 04 Jan 2018 6:49 pm

I'm in Leeds n when I was after a out of area referral a few years ago I just asked the consultant I am under at Jimmy's.
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Paul_M9
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Paul_M9 » Fri 12 Jan 2018 3:49 pm

Hi Jay, according to the NHS you have the right to choose which hospital you go to: https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSs ... spx#choice

I used to live in Reading and initially my GP referred me to the Royal Berkshire but I went back and spoke with them about wanting to go to Moorfields and they just sent me a letter and some details to allow me to use the NHS e-Referral Service which I did and I got an appointment at Moorfields fairly soon afterwards

Return to “General Discussion Forum”