The Graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Graft and stitch removal

Postby Rob Armstrong » Tue 27 Apr 2004 12:09 am

Andrew said "And a couple of weeks (eight weeks) won't make such a difference if my sight is permanently improved by the [stitch removal] procedure."

It won't be immediate by any means, but hopefully it will and you won't believe it!

Since my broken stitch incident about a month ago, things have really improved (once they settled).

I now have consistant vision for most days, all day.
(It used to be very variable, and particularly fuzzy in the mornings).

I had 16 individual stitches too, and am down to 12 at the moment, so still room for improvement!

I was even told I can drive again by my new consultant on Friday! Without my new glasses on! (although obviously they're recommended).

Even he seemed pleasantly surprised by my quality of vision, a credit to his predecessors handiwork, (for which I'm eternally grateful). But he warned me not to expect similar results if I ever decide to have my other eye done.

I'm still undecided as what to do there. I haven't worn my lens for a long time and apparantly I'm too far gone for intacts to be effective. So I imagine its more a question of when rather than if.

Been told to have a think about it before my next check up in the summer.

Rob.

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

The Graft

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 27 Apr 2004 8:59 am

Thanks for the encouraging post, Rob
Andrew MacLean

Janet Manning
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Janet Manning » Thu 06 May 2004 4:49 pm

Hi Robert,
I had corneal grafts in both eyes during 1999. Results for each person are very different, but my experience is that my uncorrected vision is different but no better (of the what chart, where variety) and post graft correction with glasses is worse. I can read 2 lines on the chart with one eye! Correction with scleral lenses is great and I can even drive.

I agree with all that has been said about post graft problems. It takes about 2 years to fully 'recover' and let everything settle down. Having had a graft, you will need to make regular and frequent visits to the hospital for check-ups for life. My surgeon's comment was that you attached by elastic to the eye dept for life!
I have been doing really well, mostly because I was forced to leave my demanding academic job after the grafts - could not cope with long hours and reduced lens wearing time. Also read posts about having to be up a couple of hours before inserting lenses. I now have my own business and define my own hours so this is not a problem, but would be otherwise. So I'm doing well because I have modified my life style and am able to take the lenses out and give my eyes a rest when necessary. N.B. Without lenses I am partially sighted and cannot read.
Post graft we remain vulnerable as I discovered anew last week with a threatened rejection episode. No lens for 5 days - so difficulty working and lots of eye strain on one lens. Turned out to be corneal abrasion from sand under lens on holiday, but has left scars on my new cornea.Was told there is risk of rejection in the other eye due blood vessels growing into new cornea.
So although all seemed well, things can be turned upside down when you least expect it. I've got away with it this time, but it's a bit like living with a time bomb. There is no research about graft life beyond 5 years! I know people who had grafts 30+ years ago and going well, but once grafted the eye is far more vulnerable.
This is O.K. for me at 55 and I am happy to take life easier, but you are only 14 and likely to live another 70+ years. After my grafts I was told at another hospital that they were unnecessary and that I could have had scleral lenses. I have to have them anyway post graft!
PLEASE, PLEASE investigate alternatives such as scleral lenses. They might solve your problem without having surgery. You lose nothing by delaying surgery and trying them and can always get a graft if it really is necessary for you. I can find out for you where your nearest scleral lens fitter is. email me on janetmanning@onetel.com
Best wishes, Janet

Janet Manning
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Janet Manning » Sat 29 May 2004 2:36 pm

Dear Robert,
i notice from your posts that you were scheduled for your graft on 25th May. Did you go ahead and if so how are you? We would like to hear and are also available for help and advice on day to day management immediately after the op. Please let us know how things are?
All the best,
Janet

Return to “General Discussion Forum”