The Graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Robert Bradley

The Graft

Postby Robert Bradley » Mon 05 Apr 2004 4:09 pm

i am having a graft soon, has any1 had the graft, wot is it like, plz help

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Mon 05 Apr 2004 8:39 pm

Hello Robert, welcome to the group.

There are quite a few of us who've had grafts. My own experience was quite a good one. I certainly had more discomfort from the anaethestic than the operation itself. 18 hours after the op, I had the bandages removed, and I could already see much more clearly than before.

You'll need to wear a plastic eye shield for a while when doing "risky" activities, like sleeping, playing with children or going out. The eye will look very red for a couple of weeks, and you should certainly listen to your consultant and do what they say. You'll probably have hourly steroid drops at first, and some antibiotic drops too.

Don't worry too much about rejection. It happens to some of us, but the eye drops do a good job of stabilising the eye if you're sensible.

Let us know if you have any specific questions; I know that the other folks here will help as much as they can.

Good luck. When is the op scheduled for?
John

Robert Bradley

thank ou

Postby Robert Bradley » Wed 07 Apr 2004 10:13 pm

Thank you for your reply, i am greatful for the advice, but with me bein 14, i am still a bit nervous and apprehensive, but any way, thank you

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

The graft

Postby Rob Armstrong » Thu 08 Apr 2004 12:38 am

Hi Robert.

I understand how you must feel, as my graft last year was my first ever operation. No doubt you've had all the medical stuff explained to you, but its the day to day living with it that you are not told about, you know the little things.

I've just realised that last comment sounds negative, but its not meant to be.

Having a graft will hopefully change your life, I know mine did. At first its all a bit tedious, the check-ups, the eye drops etc, but its just a matter of getting used to it all. After struggling with worsening eyesight, its a fantastic feeling as you notice your vision gradually improving.

Although you'll probably notice an immediate improvement, it is by no means an instant fix. Don't be disappointed if things aren't what you expected at first. I had my graft 15 months ago, and have been steadily improving, but its only in recent weeks that I feel that I'm "better." I don't wear my glasses anymore and my vision is much more consistant (it used to vary from day to day and things were often a bit fuzzy in the mornings). So be patient, it will all be worth it!

Surgeons tend to be reluctant to give probabilities of success etc, as each case is so different. I was told that I wouldn't know the outcome until 12-18 months post op, and now that I am at that stage, I can say that I am extremely pleased I decided to go for it. I only have to look through my left eye to remind me how bad things were.

You've probably got so many questions, and you've found the right place to ask them!

Good luck.

Rob.

Robert Bradley

Postby Robert Bradley » Thu 08 Apr 2004 8:41 pm

Thank You for your reply, it was extremely useful, i am having it done on May 25th, and hopefully in two years time i am having my other eye done, i am hearing all the positive things, but doesnt it get sore sometimes, or throb, or become painful, at any random point in the early stages.

Thank You for your words of wisdom

Robert

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Thu 08 Apr 2004 11:46 pm

Hi Robert,

In my case, there was virtually no pain at all. Not even immediately after the op. The worst it felt was as if I'd been wearing a contact lens for a little too long. Slightly sore maybe.

The only other problem was the occasional slight stinging from putting the steroid drops in. Be prepared to put a LOT of drops in, at least at first.

I'm sure things will go well for you. You have the advantage of youth on your side too.

All the best,
John

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

The Graft

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 18 Apr 2004 12:46 pm

Hello Robert

Since I had my first graft in December last year I have lived with virtually no pain in my graft eye. This compares with fairly constant paid before surgery!

This week, they are going to start taking my stitches out. I have 16 and the first two are coming out on Thursday afternoon. Everything so far has gone so well that even this removal of stitches which would have filled me with dread now seems unremarkable.

Once the stitches start coming out I am told I should expect to notice a big improvement in my sight.

Let us know how things go in May.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Mon 19 Apr 2004 11:26 pm

Hello Andrew,

Please let us all know how the stitch removal goes. My running stitch is finally being removed in June (only 2/5 years after it went in!). I'm almost as nervous about that than I was about the graft itself... at least I was asleep during the graft!
John

Roman
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Roman » Wed 21 Apr 2004 11:40 am

Well guys this is very interesting topic. First of all I want to make clear that I didn´t have any graft and I hope I will never have one.

Don´t get me wrong I know that in some cases (some statistics claim 10% of all KC cases, the other states 20%) is graft the only option to be able to see normally once again.

Despite the high success rate of thie surgery (over 95%), nowadays a lot of studies were issued to see also the negative side of graft (such as how long will they last, astigmatism post surgery, rejection rate much higher than originally stated etc.)

I just want to say don´t rush for graft. It is not a cure nor the solution of KC. Every one shall exploit all other option before proceeding to graft as there is no way back once you pass it.

Please take a look at some of the articles in this library and it will prove what I claim here http://www.kcsupport.org/links_library.htm
Take Care

Roman

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

The Graft

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 25 Apr 2004 3:07 pm

Hi all

Went to see my opthalmologist confident that he would start tweeking out stitches. Arrived with 16, left with 16 ... oh well,l there's always next time. And a couple of weeks (eight weeks) won't make such a difference if my sight is permanently improved by the procedure.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”