Cost of Lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

NightOwl
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Cost of Lenses

Postby NightOwl » Wed 15 Nov 2017 11:49 am

Hi All,

I’ve found online on the DoH Guidance that the Contact Lens charge under the NHS is £57 per lens. However, my contact lens provider (who provides the service under the NHS) is charging me £65 per lens. When I questioned the price difference, I was told that it was for associated costs such as posting out the lenses (still a bit steep for a first class stamp!). I’m a bit baffled by this as I thought the NHS charge of £57 covered all of this.

Anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Lia Williams

Re: Cost of Lenses

Postby Lia Williams » Wed 15 Nov 2017 1:06 pm

The hospital I attend charges £3.00 for postage but nothing extra if I collect my lenses.

If I'm ordering piggyback lenses I would be charged £6.00 as the soft lenses would be sent separately from the RGPs.

Lia

NightOwl

Postby NightOwl » Wed 15 Nov 2017 4:20 pm

Thanks for your reply, Lia. Those charges are quite reasonable.

I will be paying an additional cost of £16 allegedly for postage on top of the £114 NHS charge for a pair of lenses. Not a happy bunny :x

Jolly Roger
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Jolly Roger » Wed 15 Nov 2017 11:18 pm

You should not pay more than £57 per lens on NHS and they should be fitting the lenses and making sure they are the correct prescription and fit alright. Sending them out in the post without checking the fit/correct prescription is negligent.

Also when they order the lenses ask them to incorporate some sort of ID which differentiates which is for the right and left eye. Either a dot on one of lenses or one with a blue tint of the edge for left (bLue) and grey (gRey) for left.

Some past informative threads on this subject.

http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/for ... php?t=1267

http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/for ... php?t=5785

http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/for ... php?t=5616

Jolly Roger
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Jolly Roger » Wed 15 Nov 2017 11:18 pm

NightOwl

Postby NightOwl » Thu 16 Nov 2017 5:30 pm

Thank you Jolly Roger. I will read through those links.

I’m not sure how I can argue against paying their inflated charge. Do not want to ruffle feathers by questioning it and have them sabotage me with an incorrect prescription.... :(

Mischa7199
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Mischa7199 » Sat 18 Nov 2017 2:33 pm

Hi have been having lenses from the hospital for over 25yrs now and the most recent were in fact approx 146 I didnt know there was a cap so will have to check on this
thank you spooo much
Julia

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Sat 18 Nov 2017 5:27 pm

Details of NHS Optical Vouchers can be found here:

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcos ... alues.aspx

The confusing thing is that Vouchers A to I are vouchers which are given to people who meet certain criteria:

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcos ... x#criteria

whereas Voucher J is the charge (per lens) to the patient for contact lenses prescribed for or on behalf of the NHS.

Lia

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Sun 19 Nov 2017 3:35 pm

Jolly Roger wrote:You have a 12 month period trial period, i.e if the lenses are not wearable in that period any other lenses that are prescribed are FOC.

I believe that there exceptions to this. If one were to be prescribed daily disposable lenses (unlikely with KC but possible for other medically needed contact lenses) then the charge of £57 (per eye) would be for six months' supply of the lenses. Similarly if the lens was only designed to last six months then one would be charged again for the replacements after six months.

Lia

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 20 Nov 2017 12:06 pm

Just to add that not all hospital eye clinics have a contact lens department. Those hospitals usually then contract out the supply of contact lenses to a specified optometrist in the area giving the patient what's known as a HESp voucher. While the £57 per lens charge still applies with this voucher, from what I've heard from our members, opticians under the 'contracted out' scheme do tend to make some additional charges, and these seem to vary from practice to practice.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”