Son (16) just diagnosed with KC - a few questions please

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

rosa10
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Son (16) just diagnosed with KC - a few questions please

Postby rosa10 » Thu 06 Jul 2017 7:01 pm

Hi all

A year ago my son (then 15 and a half) was diagnosed with suspected KC. A year later they say it definitely is and it has progressed at such a rate that they are recommending crosslinking.
It looks like the right thing for him to do (based on what I've read and also people's experiences on this forum), but I still have concerns that I wonder if anyone can answer please?:

1) I'd rather he had one eye done at a time in case anything goes wrong. I know there are down sides to this (going through the pain twice/ longer away from studies etc). Am I worrying unnecessarily?

2) Now we know it needs doing I just want to get on with it, even if it means we have to go private. I assume that as every day goes by his condition must be worsening so I don't want to wait. Will it matter if we wait 6 weeks (the earliest we could do it) or 12 weeks (if we waited til October half term)? ie will that extra 6 weeks make a difference?

3)Is it better to have it done after the summer when the pollen has gone and it's not so hot? (thinking of the few days after it's done when it's painful and there's a risk of infection which I wonder might happen if he's rubbing them coz of pollen)

4)Silly question but can you have a shower during the week afterwards or might the steam irritate?

5)Is it possible to ring different NHS trusts to ask about their wait times to see if there is one that we could get onto (for free) in a reasonable timeframe (ie a couple of months)?

I appreciate any answers anyone can give.
Many thanks
Sally

Bulls Eye
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Son (16) just diagnosed with KC - a few questions please

Postby Bulls Eye » Wed 12 Jul 2017 11:32 pm

CXL epi on or are you going for CXL epi off?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”