Success rates of corneal transplants in the UK

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Bulls Eye
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Success rates of corneal transplants in the UK

Postby Bulls Eye » Sun 02 Jul 2017 10:25 pm

A corneal transplant should always be the last resort it is not a quick fix.

I had a DALK corneal transplant on my right eye in November 2013, age 52 (so anyone who tells you it does not progress after 30 and the refusal to offer CXL after this age is wrong!) after over a years wait on the NHS due to KC progression and scarring. It was 18 months before all the sixteen stitches were removed. Two stitches were unsuccessfully removed - broken and the remnants remain in my eye.

Was the operation a success. According to the NHS Eye Hospital yes as the transplanted cornea remains unrejected/uninfected and functional.

But for me I was not one of the lucky ones - it was not successful as my criteria for success was that after the operation I had to have driving level standard vision/20/20 vision without the use of visual aids (highly unlikely) or with the aid of glasses NOT contact lenses.

No laser astigmatism correction was offered by the NHS consultant.

I only achieve the level of vision needed with a semi scleral rgp contact lens and I have dry eyes.

So what are the stats in the UK for-
%age of KC transplant patients who achieve driving level standard and 20/20 vision without visual aids
%age of KC transplant patients who achieve driving level standard and 20/20 vision with glassese
%age of KC transplant patients who achieve driving level standard and 20/20 vision with contact lenses
%age of KC transplant patients who dont achieve driving level standard and 20/20 vision with any visual aids

I did ask this questions before my transplant but got no answer from the consultant.

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: Success rates of corneal transplants in the UK

Postby John Smith » Mon 03 Jul 2017 11:11 pm

I suspect that nobody knows the answers to all of your questions. That's why your consultant couldn't tell you. Plus it is really complicated as driving standard means using both eyes, and most KCs are not affected the same in each eye.

Remember though that the point of a graft is to make the vision correctable, and not to give you 6/6 vision (or even the driving standard which is now 6/12 - or 20/40 if you're American).
John

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Success rates of corneal transplants in the UK

Postby Loopy-Lou » Tue 01 Aug 2017 1:02 pm

6/12 for driving but if it's one eye with an RGP which means zero vision if you get grit under it no one gives a shit we can go crash a car

Return to “General Discussion Forum”