DriveSafe glasses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

pbsiakht
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

DriveSafe glasses

Postby pbsiakht » Sat 17 Jun 2017 9:25 pm

I popped into my local Boots The lady mentioned but the drive safe glasses which reduce glare/streakinge. I told her I had KC , she said it would help a little. Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with these??

Thanks
irfan

DigiKera
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Re: DriveSafe glasses

Postby DigiKera » Tue 20 Jun 2017 9:23 pm

Dear pbsiakht,

Most Keratoconus patients suffer from the GASH (Glare, Arcs, Streaks, Halos) symptoms, this is a side effect of having an irregular cornea. To combat those annoying symptoms, most patients try to fix or reduce them via surgical or contact lenses methods. If the treatments weren't enough and the patient still suffers, if those treatments are not relevant, or if the patient prefers other methods, then there are other options. Anti-reflective coating on spectacles can reduce some of the effects, although not significantly. Some spectacles claim to have a much greater affect, such as the wavefront or High-Definition glasses. DriveSafe seems to be just another egg in the basket. Although it might improves your night vision, don't expect a huge improvement, but a moderate one at best. In another way to tackle the problem, many doctors prescribe Alphagan, which is used treat high eye pressure, but used off-label to decreases night-vision difficulties (that side effect of the drug occurs because it temporarily reduces the pupil size).

In regards,
DigiKera.
Left:
CXL
T-CAT PRK
Mini ASRK

Right:
Penetrating keratoplasty (full graft)
Wavefront-optimized PRK

---

Uncorrected: 20/30
Corrected with spectacles: 20/15