Keratoconus intacts surgery. Advice please!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jonnyh132
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Keratoconus intacts surgery. Advice please!

Postby jonnyh132 » Tue 06 Jun 2017 12:35 pm

So it's been confirmed I 2ill get intacts on one or possibly both my eyes on the 6th July. The problem I have is I get anxiety anyway, and I'm really worried il end up puking during the surgery or something!!

Can anyone possibly give me a step by step process or what will happen?I'm sure it would at least settle the anxiety, my face this morning when opening the letter. Veld like I had just downed 10gallons of coffeez heart racing.

Thanks for any advice

DigiKera
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Re: Keratoconus intacts surgery. Advice please!

Postby DigiKera » Tue 06 Jun 2017 3:53 pm

Dear Johnny,

I understand your worries, however, I think you should discuss the surgery expectations, outcome & possible complications with your consultant. As far as I'm concerned, complications are possible, but very limited and usually not permanent. Also take in mind the fact that the visual outcome is irreversible. According to this research, 70 – 80% of patients treated in all studies noted an improvement in best-corrected and uncorrected vision.

Few years ago I was offered Intacs surgery for my left eye, but I declined it, due to very poor vision in that eye. Later after I had PRK, I was told that my vision is too good for Intacs because minimum treatment is -1 sphere and -2 astigmatism (while I'm hyperopic with 0.75 cylinder). Today I regret that decision, because It's very likely that my vision would have been better today if I had PRK after intacs instead of having PRK alone.

Now I think you should relax, and grab some cup of tea (and add Milk, provided you are British :lol: ). In regards.
Left:
CXL
T-CAT PRK
Mini ASRK

Right:
Penetrating keratoplasty (full graft)
Wavefront-optimized PRK

---

Uncorrected: 20/30
Corrected with spectacles: 20/15

jonnyh132
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby jonnyh132 » Tue 06 Jun 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks so much. There really is such negativity towards it, but lenses for me are so uncomfortable long term and I'd be extremely happy just driving with glasses and not having to put lenses in for the drive.

And yes I'm British. Milk After water and all that.

DigiKera
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby DigiKera » Tue 06 Jun 2017 5:18 pm

Dear sir,

I also am intolerant of contact lenses, with very bad side effects (e.g. binocular double vision, cloudy blurry vision, photophobia, eye strain, ghosting/starbursts, dry red eyes, contacts stuck to the eye). Even spectacles cause me some double vision/eye strain (accommodation issues), but symptoms are largely reduced after prolonged use (brain adjusting to merging two non-perfect images), and by using good quality lens. But thankfully today I have a very good vision after having cross linking + topography PRK and corneal transplant + wavefront PRK, in my left and right eyes, respectively. 5 years ago I could barely see the faces of people while today I see 20/35 (left) and 20/25 (right) unaided, and with spectacles I see 20/20 in each eye individually. Today I drive, watch TV and use my computer without the aid of glasses or contact lenses! So believe me, there is always a light at end of the tunnel! =)

In regards,
DigiKera.
Left:
CXL
T-CAT PRK
Mini ASRK

Right:
Penetrating keratoplasty (full graft)
Wavefront-optimized PRK

---

Uncorrected: 20/30
Corrected with spectacles: 20/15

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 07 Jun 2017 4:35 pm

Hi Jonny,
I haven't had Intacs, but I have had corneal transplants under general anaesthetic and recently a cataract op under local. Presumably you've got a pre-op appointment before your July date, so if you're really worried about how you'll cope with the op, you could ask if it could be done under general or, if that's scarier than local(!) then you could ask for extra sedation with the local anaesthetic. Either way, I'm sure you'll be fine.
All the best.
Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”