'Natural' treatment

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

tomas
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

'Natural' treatment

Postby tomas » Wed 10 Aug 2016 6:30 am

Hello everybody,

I am happy to join this forum. Recently I was told that I have a mild version of KC, therefore, my doctor suggested to leave it for observation for now. Anyway, she also suggested that I could try some 'natural' treatments for KC so I am interested to know if anyone has tried it and if it is working.

The doctor suggested buying a small pouch and fill it with some grain (buckwheat for example). Then, she said, I should put these bags on top of my eyelids and keep for some time. She says that this may help as the pressure (weight) from the pouch on eyes could reduce the irregularities of my corneal surface.

Have you ever heard of such 'treatment'? Does it work? Or maybe it may even cause more problems? I would be very happy to know!

Thank you very much!

Lia Williams

Re: 'Natural' treatment

Postby Lia Williams » Wed 10 Aug 2016 12:02 pm

Hi Tomas,

Welcome to the forum.

It is certainly worth knowing if your KC is progressing and if so considering whether or not cross-linking might be appropriate.

The only natural thing to do is to positively avoid eye rubbing which can make KC worse.

There are also various tips associated with contact lens wear such as staying hydrated.

But as for 'natural' treatments for KC I've never heard of any. If there are any that work I'm sure that we'd all love to what they are.

Lia

Stealth_Za
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: 'Natural' treatment

Postby Stealth_Za » Wed 17 Aug 2016 8:20 pm

I agree with Lia above, CXL is very effective especially if it's caught in the very early stages before it begins to progress. When it starts, it moves quickly.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”