Experience of a Recent Corneal Graft at Moorfields

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Experience of a Recent Corneal Graft at Moorfields

Postby John Thatcher » Thu 14 Jul 2016 6:43 pm

One of the West Midlands members had a partial thickness graft carried out at Moorfields in early May and wrote some notes about his experiences which he shared with the group. He then followed up with answers to some questions raised and has kindly agreed that this can be shared with members. I am posting the summary here on his behalf as there have been some recent posts about grafts and this could be useful to others.
John (West Midlands Group Coordinator)

=================================================================
Experience of Corneal Graft at Moorfields Eye Hospital on 9th May 2016

Part 1 - The First Month

Personal Details: 
Diagnosed with Keratoconus: at the age of 20.
Prognosis: Moderate keratoconus in left eye after corneal cross linking in Jan 2016 and severe keratoconus in right eye before operation.

As stated in the last meeting at Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre, I let the group know of the struggles and worries and stress I had been undergoing for years with the condition. I had finally been for a second opinion at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London and was finally being given some treatment to help improve my quality of life.

Operation Day - Monday 9th May:
I was very anxious on the day of surgery on the train on the way down to London and arrived at the hospital in good timing for my operation. When I got there I was checked straight in and put in all the operation gowns. The hospital staff could tell I was very nervous and along with my parents and the hospital staff they eased me in to a relaxed mood.

I was second in the line and went into surgery, the consultant came and saw me and made sure I was ready and answered all the worrying questions I had like the risks, sick note procedure and likelihood of being off work all explained to me.

I came round from my operation 3 hours after surgery (What can I say I have always loved my sleep), and the Surgeon had popped into my parents and explained that they only needed to undertake a partial thickness graft as the inner layer of my cornea was in good health and not damaged after they cut away the scarred layers. This would prove to be a good factor due to the length of recovery and risks being shortened.

The eye was very sore and red but the pain was manageable with the eye drops and medication given to me by the doctor.

I was discharged the following day and was given a follow up appointment for Monday 16th May. I could initially see a difference in vision (overall vision).

Saturday 14th May:
I had been following all precautions and leaflets given by the hospital but woke u[p on the Saturday morning with no vision in the right eye after sneezing (due to my high allergy levels). I rang the eye hospital in London and they advised me to visit Birmingham Accident and Emergency at the eye hospital. I was treated urgently by the hospital and taken straight into a consultants room. They explained that I had a large abrasion to the front of the new donor cornea! This knocked me back in morale but I knew I had a appointment on Monday 16th May to attend and would hopefully be healed or in process of healing.

Monday 16th May 2016:
I attended my follow up appointment with the surgeon that had undertaken my operation. Good news that my abrasion had started healing and although was still blocking the improved vision the consultant was happy.

He advised I may need to have a minor surgery to administer more stitches as he felt part of the graft had pulled away from my eye. He upped my dose on my eye drops and advised me to come back down a week later to see if the eye would heal naturally and prevent me from having the extra stitches and strain added to the eye.

Wednesday 25th May 2016: 
My vision was very good on this day and is now on the same standard as my left eye without visual aids. This was a breath of fresh air to me and definitely made me smile and happy to see the successful operation outcome was starting to prevail. The consultant looked at my eye along with the head consultant at the hospital and they were both happy that my eye is healing. The doctor advised me that I should maybe consider moving jobs and out of the very dusty conditions I work in at the moment. I will be looking at a more office based job in the construction industry which will allow me to have the good quality of life with eyesight and less damage to eye and let me stop in the industry I love working in.

I have been set a date of 14th June to go back to work on light duties in the office which is a relief as I'm a workaholic. I have a follow up appointment on 22nd June.

The eye 4 weeks down the line is still sore if I catch it accidentally but the pain is manageable its advised not to touch the eye.

Although the cost to London and back has been a lot its definitely been worth it and I hope I can share my full recovery of the next 12 months. The operation will not cure your eyesight over night but they do hope after 12 months you are at the level of vision of a non-keratoconus sufferer.

I can only leave this message to all sufferers pre- operations, diagnosis or post surgery. I advise they you stay strong, expect ups and downs but you will always pull through with the help of the hospitals and support of friends and families, be vigilant and don't give up on the NHS, keep pestering if you need advice or feel you have a problem.

Part 2 - Emailed Questions and Answers based on Part 1

1. Travelling to London on the day of the op must have added to the stress, what time was your op planned for?
My op was planned for 2pm. I was checked in at 12 and prepared straight away going through seeing the consultant and anaesthetist. I was happy I was there in the place which was helping me settle my nerves.

2. What risks were discussed with you and did any of them really concern you?
The risks discussed were rejection, failure, retina detachment and bleeding and bruising. They didn't concern me the op was a simple procedure for them and I was mentally prepared for the worst as I never think positive in life. But now things have changed.

3. How well did you sleep in Moorfields that first night?
I slept very well the painkillers I had to last me the night were very good and no pain was felt until the next day. I was expecting pain and no sleep but it was the complete opposite.

4. Had you told the surgeon about your allergies and was the sneezing risk considered?
Yes I told him I was a high allergen but he stated sneezing shouldn't cause a issue. I have been closing my eyes when know I'm going to sneeze. I take a natural allergy tablet daily so I wasn't that bad with sneezing through recovery.

5. Not sure if you had to have extra stitches or not, sounds like you didn't?
No I didn't have to have the extra stitches and the doctor was happy with the little concern my consultant had. They stated they could add extra stitches anytime just to make the stitch stronger at that point. I am back down in the morning 22nd June for check up. Fingers crossed it's good.

6. What drops and dosage are you on for the graft? 
I was put on a anti-inflammatory for 4 weeks, 4 times a day and a steroid drop every two hours for a month and 4 times a day after. I am currently on no medication.

7. What protection have you got for the eye and how nervous were you travelling home on the tube and train with all the crowds and breezes?
We walked from the train to the hospital and caught taxi on way back. The wind from the tubes was considered before op. I have a eye patch to wear if ever need protection, the crowds were fine as most people moved out my way when in a patch.

8. Do you have a letter or any info about the graft to give to your employer?
Yes I had the operation leaflet which was very helpful. I got a copy for my employer to show the risks and implications I may have over the next few months and also a insight to what I had done to make them understand more. I have a copy of this for anyone that would like a copy. It's of a useful info but the leaflet is also on the Moorfields website.

9.   Was the stitching a running stitch or individual stitches and do you know when they will be removed?
I believe I have a running stitch in my eye. I know that the stitching looks like a star around where the donor graft is. My girlfriend was allowed to look at it through the machine they use as she was curious to what it looked like so the doctor showed her. I believe after discussions with the consultant on my last appointment that the stitches will be coming out early on in 2017 (Jan or Feb). 

10. How difficult was it to arrange the bed at Moorfields overnight? (someone thought you had said you had to request it specially and there was some issue about it)
It wasn't difficult but it had to be arranged at the pre-operative assessment so it’s important you attend the pre-op and explain that you are travelling from afar and they will let you know. I was looked after by the night nurse and given a drink whenever I requested. I did have to request it as the corneal graft is usually a day case but due to distance and complexity of the graft they can assure you stop in over night.
===========================================================================

cloud
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Experience of a Recent Corneal Graft at Moorfields

Postby cloud » Wed 20 Jul 2016 2:05 pm

That's very useful info. Thank you.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”