At what point did you 'give in' to keratoconus?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

At what point did you 'give in' to keratoconus?

Postby CrippsCorner » Fri 10 Jun 2016 12:00 pm

Just been having a catch up on here and the thought popped into my head after someone mentioned living a 'normal' life!

I... don't really feel like that to be honest, mainly I guess because my (slightly obsessive perhaps) mind is always thinking about it. I've got to the point with my right eye where I don't think it's going to get any better now. It's awful uncorrected but with contacts I have acceptable vision. Of course, for anyone that knows my story I had many issues with my left eye and am still bitter about that! I had another appointment last month in which my optometrist said she'd have 'one more go' with contacts in there (basically to try and eliminate double vision) but I am once again preparing for it to be unsuccessful.

Is it time to just accept that this is as good as it gets if the above doesn't work? Whilst that of course would be disappointing, maybe it'll help make me start getting on with life as it is for me now...

I don't want to come here purely just to moan all the time lol (although hopefully sometimes I hope I can help people with my experiences) so who's looking forward to the football? 8)

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Re: At what point did you 'give in' to keratoconus?

Postby space_cadet » Fri 10 Jun 2016 2:16 pm

re giving in to KC, I found it very difficult initally when I was diagnosed as from diagnoses to being declared legally blind due to KC for me was under a year and I know that is not the norm but was terrafying especially when the vast majority of literature tells you that KC doesnt cause blindness and even within this forum repeatidly the message given is KC doesn't cause blindness,

whereas at least with educa\tion it is clear yes KC doesnt cause total blindness but can and does for some of us cause legal blindness and the two are very different things yet united by the fact they are scary when happen to you.

re the football, what to enjoy othe rthan yet more no doubt predictable disappointment from England who for a change start a tornamont with so much optimism but past preformace speaks for itself, just hope penalties have been practiced n tempers get curbed pre kick off.

I much prefer domestic rahter than international football x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Grant » Sat 11 Jun 2016 10:50 am

I think of it as 'accept' rather than 'give in' but that is probably influenced by the fact that I'm not affected as badly as many others. When I was still able to wear glasses I was obsessed about achieving 'perfect' vision. As soon as I noticed any slight degradation I was back to the optician and ordering new lenses. When I changed to contacts I was still the same - if I couldn't read 6/6 or better I was back in asking for a prescription change.

But over the last couple of years I've slowly come to realise that I'll never have 'perfect' sight again and I have to accept and manage with what I do have.

Matt_Offord
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matt_Offord » Sun 12 Jun 2016 12:28 pm

I think I also prefer to accept than give in. I have found that despite also being legally blind in my left eye and partially sighted in the right (uncorrected), life goes on. I am lucky in that I can get really good VA with piggy back lenses although summer is hell with constant infections caused by photophobia and hayfever!

Admittedly, I am not going to be a jet fighter-pilot but there is still a lot I can do.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”