Flickering when reading text (most likely just visual snow)

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jjoe
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Flickering when reading text (most likely just visual snow)

Postby Jjoe » Tue 17 May 2016 5:03 pm

Does anyone constnatly get flickering whenever they are reading? For example, on a white letter with black text, on the white parts and especailly between the words there will be a noticably large amount of flickering. It's very irritating and makes reading more difficult.

I think it's most likely just another effect of visual snow, or maybe mild afterimages from moving my eyes line by line. After images are still a major issue for me, before my more major issues started I remember having very bad dark vision and significant after images (bright text on a black background the most obvious example). It amazes me that people can choose to use such a contrast of colours, especially on teh comptuer screen. It's much milder when it's black text on a white backgruond, but even now I can still notice a lot of afterimages and flickering just as I type this message.

I think I'd lose a leg if it meant getting perfect vision.

liam82
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Re: Flickering when reading text (most likely just visual snow)

Postby liam82 » Sat 04 Jul 2020 3:57 pm

Jjoe wrote:Does anyone constnatly get flickering whenever they are reading? For example, on a white letter with black text, on the white parts and especailly between the words there will be a noticably large amount of flickering. It's very irritating and makes reading more difficult.

I think it's most likely just another effect of visual snow, or maybe mild afterimages from moving my eyes line by line. After images are still a major issue for me, before my more major issues started I remember having very bad dark vision and significant after images (bright text on a black background the most obvious example). It amazes me that people can choose to use such a contrast of colours, especially on teh comptuer screen. It's much milder when it's black text on a white backgruond, but even now I can still notice a lot of afterimages and flickering just as I type this message.

I think I'd lose a leg if it meant getting perfect vision.

Hi! Sorry to dig up this old message, all these years later but yes - I get this same thing. I thought I was alone!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”