Hard RGP lens Cleaner -The Cost of Them!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Hard RGP lens Cleaner -The Cost of Them!

Postby jay87 » Fri 29 Apr 2016 9:15 am

Hi All,

I have recently been fitted with Rose K2s, which are fab by the way.

I have saline (£1.98)

MPS Solution (£1.99 from Savers inc Case!)

and Easysept By Bausche and Lombe (£5.55 Tesco)

What I really resent paying for though is £7.00 or more for 30ml of hard lens cleaner!

I find it such a rip off!

Now I am not going to mention some other options as I feel it is inappropriate, but I did manage to get value.

I bought a 360ml bottle of Lens Cleaner from a contact lens manufacturer. It was £19.99, and for 'Professional use only' of course.

Pro only Cleaner £19.99 / 360ml = 5 pence per ml.

Boston Cleaner £5.00 / 30ml from Tesco currently = 16 pence per ml!

I know this seems like small amounts, and that you should only use a little cleaner or you can alter the lens power, but it adds up as you can see!

That's the cheapest I could find, some go to 6.99, 7.50. Is anyone else bothered?

It just gets my goat the price of cleaner, when you get a tiny amount and rely on it so much.

Can I please ask what is the best value for money RGP lens cleaner you have found, pounds per ml of solution etc?

Many Thanks

Jake.
Jake 8)

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Hard RGP lens Cleaner -The Cost of Them!

Postby Loopy-Lou » Mon 02 May 2016 1:47 pm

I know Jake, the cost does mount up, and since solutions for hospital issued lenses were removed from NHS prescriptions (with only a prescription for 1 botlle of each solution available on an appt) it can be very hard for working poor, and for people on the lowest level of benefits such as JSA £73 a week (less under 25 yrs old), and people who are sanctioned for failing to be in two places at the same time who have a zero income.
For some people the choice would be food or sight, and for others no choice. This is why I'd like to see eye hospitals let us set up contact lens solution equivalent of a food bank for donated solutions for patients in the very worst positions, as there's no campaign to get this reinstated (at the least for those on the lowest incomes).

I find it's worth shopping around online for deals, for example, there was a deal on Amazon for a saline as an 'add on' item. Boots currently have an offer on Boston lens solutions, the 3 month pack for £23. There are various lens solution suppliers and also the online pharmacies are worth checking.

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Thu 05 May 2016 4:47 pm

Thank You Very Much Honey!

For Disinfecting i have found Vision Direct's Triple Pack of Everclear to be great, £9.99 for 3 250ml bottles!

I shall continue to hunt for cleaner....
Jake 8)

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Sun 15 May 2016 11:00 am

Hi Jake,

Yes contact lens solutions are one of the hidden costs of contact lens wear.

I use Boston or Boots cleaner and conditioning solutions and and try to buy them and saline when they are on offer. I also use protein remover tablets.

The cheapest solution I've seen is the multi-purpose solution from Wilco which costs £2.45 for 250 mls and includes a contact lens case. Tescos have a multi-purpose solution for £2.00 for 100 ml. Most of the other multi-purpose solutions seem to be only for soft lenses.

Lia

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Sun 15 May 2016 12:08 pm

Thanks for that, I will get out and have a look!

x
Jake 8)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”