Calling out to all Dry Eye sufferers

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Calling out to all Dry Eye sufferers

Postby jay87 » Wed 18 May 2016 9:39 am

On your next optom visit if you keep taking them, in a slit lamp they will see the diff in tear layer

It can take uo to a month

Are you finding any increase comfort or difference yet?

Thanks

Jake
Jake 8)

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Fri 20 May 2016 1:02 pm

It can take up to a month for full effect

I am a partial blinker too, so I always have to force a full paused blink

That helps tear production as well,

I only use eye drops for rinsing instead of saline and only Peroxide to disinfect, and household towel and antibac soap, i am an eye hygiene freak as you will see from one of my other threads!

Also only EVER use Peroxide for disinfectant, during the day they go in eye drops if I take them out.

I do still use like 10 single unit doses a day, 300 a month, omg. lol

2 drops each eye before insertion into each eye = 4

2 drops each eye after removal from each eye = 4

2 PRN

Good Luck, They are fab!
Jake 8)

colh76
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby colh76 » Fri 27 May 2016 6:05 pm

HarryR wrote:Thank you for this great write up. I've been struggling with my RGP lenses and found this really useful! Just bought myself some of the drops from Amazon to try out. Here's the link of anyone else needs it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... ah4d1zuc_b

I have tried so many products over the years and this really works. it lasts for 8 weeks and has no preservatives. Fully worth the slightly higher cost

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Tue 31 May 2016 12:58 pm

Glad you have all found this thread helpful!

The active ingredient is hyaluronic acid, it is used in face creams, as a gel, and as a face pack for beauty as well!

It works by being hydroscopic,meaning attracting water to the eyes, skin, you name it. lol.

I put a face cream with SPF 15 and Hyaluronic acid in it on my face every morning and I look 10 years younger lol!!

Hyaluronic Sodium is the eye drop form.

A good doctor will find it although at the moment 'Computer says no' and Pharmacists usually have to order it in for you. I have 30 unit doses on repeat prescription, with a PPC.

I have never had such great comfort!

Kindest Regards

Jake.
Jake 8)

Jjoe
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby Jjoe » Tue 06 Sep 2016 9:24 pm

Jjoe wrote:I've been using the tablets for a few weeks now, difficult to say if it has mdae a difference but hopefully after some more time the difference will be noticable.

I swapped to standard fish oil tablets (after buying 3 months supply of Hybak, about £45) and I honestly haven't noticed any differnece, just the fish oil tablets are a couple of quid, maybe not even that so you are saving a hell of a lot of money by just getting fish oil. It might be different for other people however.

steve2603
Vision: Other

Postby steve2603 » Thu 22 Sep 2016 8:14 pm

Hi there, I sometimes (or quite regularly, it varies) have some trouble with dry eye. At least, I think that's what it is. My eyes sometimes become a little sensitive to light (whether it's sunlight or artificial), and it can sometimes be quite extreme where I have to wear sunglasses just to cope with some levels of light. I think this is caused by dry eye? If it is, my opt recommended I use eye drops three times a day (opt recommended optive fusion which I'm using). I've been doing this but sometimes it really isn't enough to stave off the photophobia.

So do you guys recommended anything for dealing with this specifically?
Oh, and I should probably mention that this is without me even wearing lenses (long story short: I was diagnosed with KC just over a year ago, though I reckon I've had it for longer, and I've yet to find a pair of lenses that are comfortable for me. I've tried gas permeable, piggy banking, those large soft ones which are comfy but not sufficiently corrective. But I've seen some treatments here that I'm going to consult my opt on in my next appointment! Ok, that wasn't short, but hey).

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 23 Sep 2016 1:57 pm

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum,
Many of us with KC are light sensitive. I'm not sure whether there's a connection with dry eye, but with our irregular corneas, the light is scattered all over the place rather than being focused properly so I think that's why it's a problem for us. Many of us wear sunglasses when 'normal' mortals wouldn't or go in for baseball caps or hats with brims to make light less painful.
And good luck with finding lenses that work for you.

steve2603
Vision: Other

Postby steve2603 » Thu 29 Sep 2016 8:36 pm

Oh, I see. I wasn't particularly sure if there was a connection. Yea, wearing sunglasses in public when it's not necessary for most people is a difficult thing to do. You can't exactly explain your condition to everyone you walk by! haha

But back on topic then, I sometimes wake up and my eyes feel that way they normally feel when you wake up tired, but way more pronounced, which is I think the dryness. Should I be doing anything before bed to prevent this, or just use drops when I wake up?

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Loopy-Lou » Wed 12 Oct 2016 12:07 pm

sunglasses - the times I've been asked if I'm doing "the film star look", the times I've wanted to slap em with a wet fish

Return to “General Discussion Forum”