Methods to help with the dry eyes (blepharitis) and pain from KC.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jjoe
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Methods to help with the dry eyes (blepharitis) and pain from KC.

Postby Jjoe » Mon 14 Mar 2016 11:49 am

I'm hesitant to directly specify KC, it's just that it's the only thing I can find that matches my symptoms, I first had issues around 16 and fortunately (if I dare say that) they haven't deteriorated since, but with the pain, distortions and already a history of depression and anxiety before my eyes went bad, I can't say I'm very grateful for life as I've apparently lost the happiness lottery more than once. I've been tested across multiple hospitals over the 4 years and nothing has been found, and while it's a very mild variant at best it's still enough to give me severe, constant pain most of the day and the usual troubles with light sensitivity, ghosting, afterimages (I actually noticed this shortly before I was hit with the major symptoms) and really while it's 'mild' compared to other cases, compared to what I was like before it it's a world away.

To help reduce the pain I use multiple methods, and I'm wondering if there are any more that may help, this is an extract from the NHS page of Blepharitis.

Blepharitis is a condition where the edges of the eyelids become inflamed (red and swollen).

It is a common condition, accounting for an estimated 1 in 20 eye problems reported to GPs. Blepharitis can develop at any age, but is more common in people over 40.

Signs of blepharitis can include:

itchy and sore eyelids
eyelids that stick together and are difficult to open, particularly when you wake up
eyelashes that become crusty or greasy

I think it also comes along with a poor tear release too, but either way that's what my eyes are like.

The methods I use to help soothe the pain are in no specific order:

1) Eye drops - Artelac rebalance, about twice a day usually, before I got these or the anti-reflection coating on my low prescription glasses (they help with soreness more than vision) my eyes burned every day without fail. I think having an eye drop at night before bed helps prevent waking up with extremely irritated eyes in the morning.

2) Anti-reflection coating (green coating) on my glasses, they would be completely worthless outside of small, close up screens without this (I don't wear glasses outside anyway).

3) Heat bag http://www.amazon.co.uk/MGDRx-Eye-Bag-f ... 001U7RKUK/ these heat up the eyes so tears can get released faster.

4) Wind, an eco friendly and natural method, but wind usually tears up my eyes and soothes them somewhat, sometimes I go for walks, other times I leave the car window open so the wind can get in my eyes (I don't drive, I probably wouldn't do this if I do get my own car)

5) Cleaning eyelashes with baby shampoo and cotton buds

6) Pinhole glasses, I don't actually use these too often but after wearing them my vision does improve for a short while, I'm fairly sure it manipulates my eyes as if they were looking into a longer distance, but that's an irrelevant observation.

7) 0 Brightness on everything, 'warm' screen colour.

8) f.lux, this sets your monitor screen temperature to match outside colours using GPS, it's free and I really think it helps.

9) I don't actually do this often but I think sunglasses and tinted lenses would help, even indoors, they have a similar effect to pinhole glasses after taking them off in terms of light sensitivity but they are pricey to get and I've heard an overreliance isn't healthy, though conversely it's not like my eyes are healthy whatsoever.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Methods to help with the dry eyes (blepharitis) and pain from KC.

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 15 Mar 2016 11:30 am

You seem to be doing all the right things to keep your blepharitis under control.
But I'm puzzled that you're in pain all the time - keratoconus isn't normally a painful condition (badly fitting contact lenses can cause pain, but that's another story). And it must be very frustrating that you don't seem to have had a definite diagnosis of what's wrong. Are your eyes still being monitored by a hospital eye department?

Jjoe
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jjoe » Sun 20 Mar 2016 7:04 pm

Anne Klepacz wrote:You seem to be doing all the right things to keep your blepharitis under control.
But I'm puzzled that you're in pain all the time - keratoconus isn't normally a painful condition (badly fitting contact lenses can cause pain, but that's another story). And it must be very frustrating that you don't seem to have had a definite diagnosis of what's wrong. Are your eyes still being monitored by a hospital eye department?

I don't use contacts, and I'm meant to get appointments every 6 months though they cancelled in december so I've not heard anything (though you reminded me that I was going to call them back). I was honestly surprised that keratoconus isn't directly painful when I first read online about it, though it's questionable whether I have it, it seems there's at least some links with eye issues like blepharitis. The blepharitis I have is the cause for most of the pain, though I can physically feel the light (e.g. this website has a white background, everytime I blink I can feel the streams of light coming into my eyes).

P.s. I was just venting and don't want to keep extreme negative posts around, is there an edit option here?

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby John Thatcher » Mon 21 Mar 2016 1:13 pm

venting helps though, so don't worry about it! KC itself is not painful, as Anne said, (though the impacts on life are at least a pain in the backside) but I guess a lot of us have had eyelid issues at some time. I still bathe my eyelids most mornings just with a flannel and hot water as it seems to help but be careful not to rub, only gentle pressure for 20 or 30 seconds at a time. I can't add any other suggestions but the baby shampoo/cotton buds definitely helped when I had issues. It does sound like the root cause of the problem has still not been found so can only wish you well in the meantime.
John

Sheila_e
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Sheila_e » Wed 06 Apr 2016 8:19 pm

I am not sure if people are aware but from October 2015 the MGD rx eye bags are available on NHS prescription, my GP give's me a hand written script which has been successful. I phoned the company before going to the GP and they were very helpful. I do use it for my blepharitis, but have found the flannel and hot water as effective. Sheila

Jjoe
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jjoe » Fri 08 Apr 2016 1:17 pm

i bought mine for £15 from amazon, didnt realise sadly

silvesta001
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby silvesta001 » Mon 07 May 2018 10:43 am

Jjoe wrote:I'm hesitant to directly specify KC, it's just that it's the only thing I can find that matches my symptoms, I first had issues around 16 and fortunately (if I dare say that) they haven't deteriorated since, but with the pain, distortions and already a history of depression and anxiety before my eyes went bad, I can't say I'm very grateful for life as I've apparently lost the happiness lottery more than once. I've been tested across multiple hospitals over the 4 years and nothing has been found, and while it's a very mild variant at best it's still enough to give me severe, constant pain most of the day and the usual troubles with light sensitivity, ghosting, afterimages (I actually noticed this shortly before I was hit with the major symptoms) and really while it's 'mild' compared to other cases, compared to what I was like before it it's a world away.

To help reduce the pain I use multiple methods, and I'm wondering if there are any more that may help, this is an extract from the NHS page of Blepharitis.

Blepharitis is a condition where the edges of the eyelids become inflamed (red and swollen).

It is a common condition, accounting for an estimated 1 in 20 eye problems reported to GPs. Blepharitis can develop at any age, but is more common in people over 40.

Signs of blepharitis can include:

itchy and sore eyelids
eyelids that stick together and are difficult to open, particularly when you wake up
eyelashes that become crusty or greasy

I think it also comes along with a poor tear release too, but either way that's what my eyes are like.

The methods I use to help soothe the pain are in no specific order:

1) Eye drops - Artelac rebalance, about twice a day usually, before I got these or the anti-reflection coating on my low prescription glasses (they help with soreness more than vision) my eyes burned every day without fail. I think having an eye drop at night before bed helps prevent waking up with extremely irritated eyes in the morning.

2) Anti-reflection coating (green coating) on my glasses, they would be completely worthless outside of small, close up screens without this (I don't wear glasses outside anyway).

3) Heat bag http://www.amazon.co.uk/MGDRx-Eye-Bag-f ... 001U7RKUK/ these heat up the eyes so tears can get released faster.

4) Wind, an eco friendly and natural method, but wind usually tears up my eyes and soothes them somewhat, sometimes I go for walks, other times I leave the car window open so the wind can get in my eyes (I don't drive, I probably wouldn't do this if I do get my own car)

5) Cleaning eyelashes with baby shampoo and cotton buds

6) Pinhole glasses, I don't actually use these too often but after wearing them my vision does improve for a short while, I'm fairly sure it manipulates my eyes as if they were looking into a longer distance, but that's an irrelevant observation.

7) 0 Brightness on everything, 'warm' screen colour.

8) f.lux, this sets your monitor screen temperature to match outside colours using GPS, it's free and I really think it helps.

9) I don't actually do this often but I think sunglasses and tinted lenses would help, even indoors, they have a similar effect to pinhole glasses after taking them off in terms of light sensitivity but they are pricey to get and I've heard an overreliance isn't healthy, though conversely it's not like my eyes are healthy whatsoever.

Whatever you have mentioned here is okay but I think you should try some natural remedies to get rid of dry eye which is also called blepharitis. This is an eyelid issue that causes due to several reasons. But, you can now easily get rid of it by apply these natural remedies mentioned below:
• Try warm compress over your eyes for 4 to 5 minutes two times a day to get best results.
• Make use of four to five drops of tea tree oil mixed in any carrier oil like coconut or olive oil and then apply it tom your eyes.
• Apply aloe vera gel to your eyes for half an hour and then rinse your eyes thoroughly.
You can try all these remedies and get rid of dry eyes (blepharitis) with an ease. You can also know about more remedies at: http://www.eyelidslift.com/blog/amazing ... epharitis/

GeorgeThe2nd
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby GeorgeThe2nd » Thu 10 May 2018 12:11 pm

IF Blepheritis try e-eye treatment it helped me https://www.optometrists.co.uk/examinat ... ion_-_MGD/

also talk to dr about: Cyclosporine Ophthalmic Emulsion

good luck

Return to “General Discussion Forum”