Left eye sight now good... but with terrible double vision

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Left eye sight now good... but with terrible double vision

Postby CrippsCorner » Mon 29 Feb 2016 2:37 pm

So the journey of my left eye recovering from CXL with complications continues. As I see it, there are three aspects to this:

Haziness - I would consider this now to be of an acceptable level; that is, it's much better than it was this time last year. It's always there, but for the most part I seem to be able to ignore it. I find it mainly strikes me when going from a dull lit place to a bright one.

Actual sight - Good. As in, I can read what I'm typing right now on the computer fine without any correction, and without any zoom enhancements.

Double vision/reflections - God damn awful. Much worse than I ever experienced before CXL, unfortunately. Now I'm sure there must be others on here who poke around with their finger around their eyelids trying to see if makes any difference. Before, I just had to nudge my eyeball down a bit and the sight would be good! I hadn't got any results like that until trying again the other day and squeezing it right into the corner (not as painful as it sounds) and I can get the double vision right down (and although it's relatively hard to tell, I think the haziness was reduced too) I get that it's hard for people without KC to understand this, but has anyone had any luck improving sight with this situation? I have tried a couple of different lenses now but as I said, my actual sight is good, and I hate the feeling of lenses really... so just go without. Of course, if I could get rid of the double vision I'd put up with some discomfort!

Hopefully someone understands what the hell I'm going on about lol.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Left eye sight now good... but with terrible double vision

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 01 Mar 2016 4:58 pm

Hi Olly,
I guess you're right, and only someone with KC could make a distinction between 'good' sight and 'terrible' double vision! Have you had any medical explanation for this or have you got the medics baffled? I'm also a bit confused about the contact lens situation - didn't you say a while back that you were wearing a contact lens in the other eye where the CXL went smoothly? If so, why the resistance to wearing a lens in the left? Or is it that it doesn't make enough of a difference? I'm no scientist, but have you asked about whether the two eyes are working together now? I just wonder if a long period of effectively not using the left eye has meant your brain has trouble marrying up the two images? I'm probably way off the mark there!

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Sat 05 Mar 2016 12:05 pm

Hi Anne. Regarding the double vision, it has to be related to the CXL going wrong (i.e. hazing) as it was much, much better before I went for that.

I don't really have a problem with wearing contacts, it's just that in the left eye it makes it probably 5% better! During the day at least; I find night time's always worse with contacts in. It's just not worth it really.

hardik24
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hardik24 » Sat 19 Mar 2016 8:47 pm

I agree with you completely. I have the same condition as you. My haziness reduced, even the Pentacam shows that it has stopped but double vision is getting worse. I don't know why.. but I talked to my doctor and she said that it is due to unevenness of surface that might cause to have double vision. It also results in dry eye.

Is this your better eye or the bad one?

liam82
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby liam82 » Sun 20 Mar 2016 11:26 pm

I had the same thing. I had Cross Linking a few years back and now I suffer from uncomfortable double vision. I can't get a contact lens that corrects it either, as every time I try one my eye refocuses making everything even worse

hardik24
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hardik24 » Tue 22 Mar 2016 3:22 pm

Hi Liam,

when did you get your cxl done? Is your vision better than before apart from double vision? Also, is double vision getting worse even now or it has stopped?

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Wed 23 Mar 2016 2:55 pm

Yes I'd be interested in the long term effects of this... I only previously found research up to 12 months after CXL.

I honestly don't know how to answer the question if it's my 'good' eye or 'bad' eye any more :| it certainly was my good eye, however the uncorrected vision is better than the other eye, but the haziness/double vision is worse.

hardik24
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hardik24 » Wed 27 Apr 2016 8:48 pm

Hi,

Can anyone tell me that since my double vision is getting terrible and terrible, do I need to get it done again? Although, my scans tells a different story. As per the scans the vision is stable.

Hardik

Mrdear
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby Mrdear » Fri 05 Aug 2016 5:56 pm

Hi everyone! I had cxl on both eyes in February and I developed corneal haze. My right eyes is not so bad, but the bad situation is in left eye where I developed double vision. My doctor says that situation can improve with months, but after six months the situation is very bad. Does anyone notice an improvement in doubling with months? Can ghosting be related with corneal haze? Before cxl I had not aberrations or doubling and my vision was OK! Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”