Coming Soon

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

mohammadkam
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Coming Soon

Postby mohammadkam » Mon 23 Nov 2015 10:30 pm

Hi all,

Hope you're all well. Since my last post and taking into account the comments I received, I decided to press ahead with having a graft in my right eye.

However, with the date fast approaching (3rd December), I am beginning to feel quite nervous and anxious about the procedure. I was wondering whether anyone had any tips or words of advice on what to do pre and post op, on how to keep the eye prepped for surgery and on how to avoid the risks of rejection/infection. I am due to meet my consultant in the next few day to discuss these issues, but would appreciate any feedback from individuals who have gone through similar experiences.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

M. Kamran

GrandPaClanger
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Coming Soon

Postby GrandPaClanger » Tue 24 Nov 2015 7:13 am

Hi

Don't know if there is much preparation you can do other than keep yourself away from coughs and colds. It you wear a contact lens in that eye take extra care not to get an infection before the op so be on top of your lens hygiene.

As for the op its self it not a big deal (I didn't think so anyway). The eye will be uncomfortable for a few days but shouldn't be painfull. No where near as bad as a bad lens day.

Afterwards do what the tell you with regards to keeping the eye clean it may be a bit Weepy for a few days. Do as they tell you with regards the drops. You will be on a powerful steroid for a while that may increase your eye pressure so one drop means one drop.

I took a couple of weeks off work (IT consultant) but I was in reality responding to emails within a couple of days as I was getting bored. Depending on your job and working environment you may need longer.

Don't expect brilliant vision to start with it takes a while for things to settle down. You won't know what you have got till all the sutures come out.

Ask lots of questions at your pre op and maybe take someone with you in case you miss anything.

Try and relax lol it will all be fine.
Ian.

mohammadkam
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mohammadkam » Tue 01 Dec 2015 12:19 am

Hi Ian

Thank you for your post, which was very helpful. Unfortunately I have developed a chest infection so it is touch and go as to whether this will clear in time to allow the surgery to proceed

Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have another setback.

Kamran

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 01 Dec 2015 11:11 am

That's really bad luck when you've psyched yourself up for the big day. Here's hoping all will be well by Thursday. We've all got our fingers crossed for you!

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby John Thatcher » Tue 01 Dec 2015 7:26 pm

Yes, we're all rooting for you Kaman, better to delay and be fully fit if there is any doubt, do keep us all posted and good luck!
John Thatcher

mohammadkam
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mohammadkam » Wed 02 Dec 2015 12:42 am

Thank you everyone for your messages. They really do provide a source of support. It's much appreciated.
You are right Anne. I have been waiting for over a year and have been counting the weeks down. I also tried to plan the surgery so that it took place in winter and in doing so would be avoiding the hay fever season. It would therefore be frustrating if the surgery was cancelled.
However I agree with you John and do not feel it is worth unnecassary risks.
Will have to see how matters develop. Will keep you updated.
Kamran

mohammadkam
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mohammadkam » Thu 03 Dec 2015 10:10 pm

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that my operation was postponed due to the chest infection not clearing. I now have to wait for another date which is now going to be in the new year unless there is a cancellation.

John Thatcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby John Thatcher » Fri 04 Dec 2015 3:53 pm

Hang in there Kamran! Hope the infection clears soon and you get the chance of a cancellation so keep taking the vitamin C and let us all know when you do get a date. Good luck.
John

Return to “General Discussion Forum”