thoughts on sclerals

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jack1
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

thoughts on sclerals

Postby Jack1 » Fri 11 Sep 2015 10:14 am

My optician is getting excited by the idea that I might have to wear scleral lenses. They look ferocious! Can any forum readers share their thoughts with me on this one?
Jack1

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: thoughts on sclerals

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 11 Sep 2015 1:28 pm

Hello Jack and welcome,
I've never worn sclerals myself, but a number of forum users do and find them very comfortable. They're often used when the cone is too steep for a small rgp and because they cover the whole eye, you don't get those horrible bits of dust that can blow in and cause agony when they get behind the lens. These days, there are also semi sclerals and mini scerals which look a bit less intimidating and work well for some people.

saimahn2

Postby saimahn2 » Thu 17 Sep 2015 3:33 pm

After struggling for almost two years, I collected my schleral lenses on Tuesday and I feel as though my life has changed already. Mine were fitted by an optician in Lytham, you really need to make sure your optician has a lot of experience fitting them. I only had two fittings and came home with both lenses, despite the right lens correcting astigmatism also. It's the third day I'm wearing them and love them !! Theyre comfortable, my vision is great and it feels like im not wearing lenses at all. My optician showed me how to put them in and remove them, it took less than two mins to put them in this morning.

Message me with any questions or if you want more details

Jack1

Postby Jack1 » Fri 18 Sep 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks saimahn - that all sounds promising, and I wish you all the best. My RGPs have become almost un-wearable, so I hope the scleral option works.

Jack1

sky1
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sky1 » Thu 24 Sep 2015 10:53 am

Hi jack,

I wore sclerals for a long time and they enabled me to start living my life. I achieved very good vision too. Good luck and if you need any advice just ask.

Best wishes
Sarah

Jack1

Postby Jack1 » Mon 28 Sep 2015 9:38 am

Thanks Sarah. It's a bit scary not having any immediate help and guidance on these things. But you say "I wore sclerals for a long time". Have you stopped and if so why?

Jack1

sky1
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sky1 » Wed 30 Sep 2015 7:43 pm

Hey jack,

Well i had heavy corneal scarring on my right eye so I've recently had a transplant so no longer wear it in my right. I'm currently wearing a scleral for a few hours on my left eye when I can tolerate it but my left cornea is very steep and sensitive so im due for another gradt next month.
I wore them for over 10 years and had very good vision so i hope they hope you too. Who is fitting them for you?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”