Kerriconous and cataracts

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Natalie Sparks
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Kerriconous and cataracts

Postby Natalie Sparks » Thu 27 Aug 2015 11:48 pm

Please can anybody help . I am a 38 year old f with kerroconous . I had my eyes examined today and they have found a cataract forming on one of my eyes . Really scared :|

Lia Williams

Re: Kerriconous and cataracts

Postby Lia Williams » Fri 28 Aug 2015 7:09 am

Hi Natalie,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately just because we have keratoconus it doesn't mean we won't get any other eye condition. However cataracts are not uncommon and cataract operations are standard operations.

For KC patients a custom made toric lens can be used to correct the refractive error. This would mean that your unaided could be improved. The KC group in 2009 had a talk from an ophthalmologist in 2009 describing intraocular lenses and transcript from his talk can be found in Anne's post in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15778&p=72108&hilit=cataracts#p72108

Lia

GrandPaClanger
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Kerriconous and cataracts

Postby GrandPaClanger » Thu 17 Sep 2015 6:49 am

Hi Natalie

I had a cataract form after a graft as a result of the steroids, the operation was straightforward enough. I still have some astigmatism so when I was with the consultant on Monday he took out all the remaining stitches. The plan now is to let the eye settle down then swap the lens out for a toric one :). No real downsides to the cataract op. I have to wear cheap (£1) reading glasses but I did before anyway ( another thing that comes to us all with age lol)

He also mentioned that although I don't have a cataract at the moment in the ungrateful eye there are early signs. He offered to fit a toric lens to that eye as well. Whilst I would love to have some independence from lenses I declined till the grafted eye is "more sorted". Either way after 35 years of lens wear it was nice to hear of a possible alternative.

All the best
Ian

Return to “General Discussion Forum”