funny stories?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Derek Eyre
Contributor
Contributor

funny stories?

Postby Derek Eyre » Tue 06 Jun 2006 5:58 pm

Being new here and full of questions and thoughts,i wondered if anyone had funny stories or experiences to share while wearing their lenses.(if this has been done before please forgive me)

I'll get the ball rolling
In hot weather or when i'm tired, i have developed a habit of pinching my nose and making my ears pop as this seems to aliviate itchyness or my eys closing. the trouble is i do it constantly in bright weather.During meetings at work this can be embaressing for people to see me do and often get asked are you going to sneeze or not :)

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 06 Jun 2006 7:05 pm

Derek,

This may get moved to the chit chat area, but since developing KC, my sence of touch has improved, there are many aspects of maintinging my cars I find easier without being able to see.

The standard I achieve in Concour Delegance competition has improved dramatically as I can feel the dirt!
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 07 Jun 2006 9:26 am

I find lots of things easier to do without looking: tying shoe laces, tying bow ties etc.. The problem is that I am not very good at doing some of these things so people are constantly stopping me to inform me that my laces are flapping.

Actually I think that untied shoelaces remains my only little rage against convention that I have carried over from my hippy years in the 60's and 70's.

For those who know me; I probably know my lace is untied. For those who do not, if you see someone who looks like Clive James who has both his laces tied; it is probably Clive James. If one or more of his laces are flapping it may be me. Please say hello!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Wed 07 Jun 2006 12:59 pm

One of my most memorable ones were when I had to do a presentation one whilst drawing a work flow diagram my left lens flew out and landed on the outside of my hand!....I was very lucky in that it never flew half way across the room.....but I managed to grab the lens and put it in my top pocket without anyone noticing...........thereafter I was white boarding Blind! lol...albeit 10 more minutes!....but were the longest 10 mins in my life!
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Amarpal » Wed 07 Jun 2006 4:00 pm

Well there are a few stories... the most recent one is when one of my friends jumped out of nowhere to say hi to me and both my lenses fell out because I got such a fright- thankfully lens fitting has been corrected!
Amarpal

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Thu 08 Jun 2006 12:21 pm

oh yes indeed!
After not wearing a lens for about 2 years before my first graft and my sight was not good, it was a relief to finally have a lens in one eye. So, it goes in, I look at my hands and notice these huge holes and wonder, 'what the hell is going on here?!!', so I grab my pocket mirro and look at my face, drop the mirror and scream [and I mean scream] at the nurse, 'what are all these bloody holes in my face? I don't need contact lenses, I need plastic surgery!!' I was truly mortified by my appearance and my lens nurse was practically falling over laughing. She then explained to me that because the difference in my visual acuity was so acute, the pores in my skin appeared so magnified to me they looked like holes. She then reassured me that after a week my brain would adjust to what I was seeing and the huge holes would go back to being mere pores again. She was right of course, and then one day in the lens clinic I heard a familiar cry about 'holes', and so offered to speak to the distressed patient!
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Thu 08 Jun 2006 12:25 pm

The only reason I first saw an optician is because all the girls in my class were seeing this young optom on the hight street because he was really dishy. So I dutifully went along for my eye test at 14 years of age and I wasn't disappointed, he was gorgeous and I sat there whilst he peered into my eyes thinking to myself don't hyperventilate. I was so miffed at getting the immediate hospital referral when all my mates just needed damn glasses or nothing at all, inside I was wailing, 'but I only came here to look at you'

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Thu 08 Jun 2006 12:32 pm

2nd transplant at Moorfields, day after surgery in the cafe with a totally blind friend and we walked straight into someone together and we couldn't stop laughing saying the inevitable..blind leading the blind...

My most embarassing experience was with my auntie Mau who is er, shall we say somewhat indelicate. It was at the eye hosp in Brighton and she came with me to an appt, I was only 18 years old. Anyone remember the old style coarse toilet paper? Younger members won't but older members will!
Well, my auntie used the toilet then marched up to the doc & nurse saying loudly and stridently, 'this toilet paper is so hard, it's dreadful, you can't expect an old lady to wipe her fanny on this!' At which point I wanted to drop dead on the spot, I would have given anything for a cardiac arrest. The doc & nurse were laughing their heads off and I just wanted to deny all knowledge of my auntie and of being a patient...relatives, you can't take them anywhere

asylumxl
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby asylumxl » Fri 09 Jun 2006 3:27 pm

hey hey hey, im 17 and i know the paper, my grandma was a retired nurse and she used to have it for some reason lol

my only funny story is i was sitting in as maths, resting my cheak on my hand, when i started to dose off and forced my hand into my eye, pushing out my contact. luckily it landed in my hand...

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Fri 09 Jun 2006 3:50 pm

my god that paper still exists!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”