funny stories?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

asylumxl
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby asylumxl » Fri 09 Jun 2006 6:38 pm

Louise Pembroke wrote:my god that paper still exists!

yep, its sandpaperesque-licious

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Louise Pembroke » Fri 09 Jun 2006 8:10 pm

don't tell my auntie Mau!!
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Fri 09 Jun 2006 8:28 pm

A few years ago people used to say to me that they didn't realise that my eyes were different colours. They aren't - they're both brown - but my eyes had different types of lenses and one only came in a blue tint and the other in grey one.

Lia

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Fri 09 Jun 2006 8:30 pm

oh that's cool
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 09 Jun 2006 8:47 pm

Izal!

During the Second World War, Stanley Spencer RA was sent to Port Glasgow as a war artist to record on canvas the work of shipbuilders and their contribution to the war effort.

His paintings now change hands for millions of pounds.

He would walk around the town with his artist's equipment, in a little pram. if he saw something interesting he would quiclky sketch in pencil on Izal toilet roll a quick drawing of the face or posture that had caught his attention. Often times he would have more than one drawing of a face or event, so he would give the extras to the people involved.

Nowadays people find Stanley Spencer sketches amongs the belongings of their dead relatives. Seeing that the sketch is on Izal they think the drawing is of no value and, well, they flush it!

Never judge the value of a drawing by the quality of the paper on which it was drawn!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Sat 10 Jun 2006 7:40 am

My lenses are different shades of blue, but my eyes are so dark you can not tell.

Life is so unfair :D
Gareth

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Sun 11 Jun 2006 3:52 pm

Funniest thing happened to me, I didn't actually see it, only heard about it, and it wasn't funny at all at the time.
It was at work about 8 years ago. I'd been having a lot of problems with my lenses, eyes getting sore and having to take lenses out, etc.
I was at a meeting with all the project team and the very oily, smarmy salesman from on eof our suppliers - reminded us all of "would you buy your double-glazing from a guy like that?" and had a remarkable spray-on tan even in the depths of winter.
I'd gone off the ladies at a coffee break in this all-day meeting, taken my lens out yet again, and had been peering closely at the eye in the mirror and had become convinced I could detect white foggy bits and I was having another hydrops (my third).
I went back to the meeting without lens in, feeling decidedly, well, you could say fed-up!!!! about this, and explained to the assembled company what the problem was, what a hydrops was, what happened, etc.
Apparently - which I hadn't know before, and couldn't tell then withouth lenses) this salesman-guy was very, very squeamish about eyes, and was rapidly going first white and then deathly grey under his fake tan, and curling up in his seat and starting to twitch.........
My colleagues told me all about this later, with rather a bit of glee, due to relationship between us, this salesman and that supplier in general.
At the time I was vaguely disappointed I hadn't been able to see any of this, but far too stressed about another bloody hydrops to find it funny.
8 years on, and the hydrops having turned out only minor and cleared up now, I can see the funny side.
Rosemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”