Bad eye day and drops to help red eyes

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Junopops
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Bad eye day and drops to help red eyes

Postby Junopops » Thu 06 Aug 2015 10:01 am

Hi

Maybe someone has posted about this already.......
Just wondering can anyone recommend an eyedrop that can help settle my eyes back down after a bad eye day??

You know the days where you might have worn your contact lenses for a bit too long and when you remove the lenses there is a burning feeling in the eye and the eye can go red.
Is there such a thing as an eye drop that can relieve this quickly?

I use celluvisc quite a bit but I find that in order for it to be effective, you need to be consistently putting it in.
Maybe its the same with all drops.

Any feedback is welcome :)

Thank you

Junopops
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bad eye day and drops to help red eyes

Postby Junopops » Fri 07 Aug 2015 12:06 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions to the above post?
Just looking for recommendations really on any drops you may have used in the past that you found soothing to eyes that have become sore or red after over wearing contact lenses.

Thank you

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 08 Aug 2015 4:10 pm

I think the problem is that there isn't a 'magic' drop that will relieve the symptoms you describe. But have a read of the article that starts on page 2 of this newsletter
http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/new ... g_2011.pdf
which may give you a few ideas. I've used various drops in the past and the trick seemed to be to put them in BEFORE the eye got dry and uncomfortable otherwise it's too late! But that's often easier said than done.

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Loopy-Lou » Sat 08 Aug 2015 4:46 pm

I've had that, the burning sensation for like 3-4 hrs after removing the lens, I flush the eye out with hypromellose and wait..it's not pleasant

Junopops
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Junopops » Sun 09 Aug 2015 8:17 am

Thanks for the replies and the link to the article. It's good to know I'm not the only one! I stocked up on a few products in the pharmacy yesterday including lacrilube and an eye wash. I'm going to try and manage my lens wearing time better.

Charlottes mum
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Charlottes mum » Fri 14 Aug 2015 2:18 pm

Hi, I use Clinitas Soothe dry eye relief drops, the individual droppers which are gentle and preservative free on my daughter. They really help with her dry eyes as a side effect of her KC. Hope they help you x
"Promise me you'll always remember that you're braver than you believe, you are stronger than you seem and smarter than you think" .....Winnie the Pooh

ayoub1

red eyes

Postby ayoub1 » Mon 14 Dec 2015 7:47 pm

Hi I've had keratoconus since last year December and was giving rgp contacts around 6 months ago, I've recently tried piggyback and it's better then wearing the rgp on its own but the problem I'm getting is that my eyes tend to go red after an hour or 2. I've tried eye drops giving to me by my doctor but nothing seems to happen.

If there's any solution out there that can help me with my red eye problem would really appreciate it.

thanks

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 15 Dec 2015 12:37 pm

Hi Ayoub1 and welcome to the forum.
Have you told your optometrist about the red eye problem? It could be that piggy backing is reducing the amount of oxygen that's getting to your eye and they might need to look at the type of soft lenses you're piggy backing with to see if that would help.

ayoub1

Postby ayoub1 » Wed 16 Dec 2015 11:38 pm

Yeah I told my optometrists and he told me try piggyback but I'm getting the same problem weather I wear my contacts with or without the soft lens, my eyes still go bloodshot red. Does this happen to everyone that wears rgp contacts and if they do is there anyway that I can prevent my eyes from going red any eye drops that I could use I would like a day where my eyes would stay white and not go red at all.

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Thu 17 Dec 2015 10:30 am

Your red eyes could be due to the lens fit or to an allergic reaction to either materials used to make the lenses or the solutions you are using. Do make sure that you rinse off all the cleaning solution from the RGP lenses with saline before storing in your soaking/conditioning solution. Accidentally getting cleaning solution in your eyes will not only sting but can cause red eyes.

I would suggest that you go back to your optometrist and to see if a slight modification to the prescription or a change to your solutions might help. Ideally arrange the appointment so that you have been wearing the lenses for a few hours so that the optometrists can see the extent of the problem.

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”