Final Cross-linking procedure and actually recieved some good news

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Gaz2k21
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Final Cross-linking procedure and actually recieved some good news

Postby Gaz2k21 » Wed 24 Jun 2015 12:07 pm

I went for my first check-up at Eastbourne DGH since being referred to East Grinstead for Intacs (Left-Eye) and Cross-Linking on both eyes, so far I've had the Intac and Cross linking in my left eye and will be in East Grinstead on Saturday for the final Cross-Linking procedure (Which im not looking forward to after my last experience).

The check up today couldn't have gone better the Opthalmologist was impressed with how much my vision had improved in my left eye and has now decided that not only is there any need for a rigid lens but there's no need for any lens at all, my vision is above 20/20 in that eye and only needs slight correction through glasses.
I still do suffer with severe ghosting particulatrily at night or if I'm tired and my pupils are dilated, I have to admit I was a little dissapointed that nothing can really be done about this especially considering I enjoy Photography/Cinema as hobbies but I am sure I will adapt over time.

Overall I'm very happy with how the NHS have dealt with my KC and look forward to going about my daily life only minorly effected.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Re: Final Cross-linking procedure and actually recieved some good news

Postby CrippsCorner » Wed 24 Jun 2015 5:47 pm

Good to hear a story where someone is happy with the results they get! However good it gets there's always going to be little things that frustrate you throughout the day... I'm never not thinking about it, but at the same time I know it could be so much worse. My dream would be to drive at night again, but I'm not holding my breath.

Gaz2k21
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Gaz2k21 » Thu 25 Jun 2015 6:30 am

I have to admit over the past 24 hours or so I have been questioning whether I am genuinely happy or if I was just high on good news, on the one hand I like the idea of only requiring one contact lens to see decently, but on the other I would prefer sharper vision without ghosting.
Luckily if I do decide I would prefer un-ghosted vision I could have the Intac removed and go back to a rigid lens.
In regards to driving at night I've found a pair of polarised driving glasses very helpful, they are quite cheap and some pairs can be worn over normal glasses, they arent perfect but they reduce starbursts on headlights significantly enough to make driving at night possible.

Gaz2k21
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Gaz2k21 » Tue 11 Aug 2015 3:04 pm

Thought I'd update this as I can now use a computer, I had the CXL procedure on my right eye on the 27th and it was a considerably more pleasant experience than when I had it on my left, it was by no means fun but it was OK.
I went home after the procedure and healing seemed to be going well, my vision was poor after the procedure in my right eye now and as my left eye has fairy heavy ghosting any attempt at seeing anything was pretty much pointless so I spent the best part of a week doing very little and listening to Podcasts etc.
As the end of my recovery week approached my vision improved slowly but it became apparant that my vision was no way near good enough to return to my work duties ( I am a police custody officer and am required to make observations on those who have been arrested on a half hourly basis) I called East Grinstead who kindly agreed to sign me off for a further few days in the hope that it would improve.
I also decided to see if I could get a replacement pair of glasses as the pair I had were out of prescription, hoping that if they at least improved the vision in my left eye that would compensate for the poor vision in my right and I could return to work, however the optician refused to do this on the basis that the CXL was still healing and the prescription likely to change.
So I continued spending time in darkened rooms and hoping my vision would improve enough to return to work, when it came close to the end of the extra few days it became apparant that my vision would not be sufficient ( as I expained to my boss if it was a Job like stacking shelves I could manage but I would not want anyones welfare at my responsibility) I called the Hospital again and they advised I should give it at least a month, I visited my GP and explained this and she kindly signed me off work for a further month (luckily at full pay).
I was frustrated and worried that my vision had been damaged permanently but had been assured it was fine, so I came to terms with it and set about enjoying a bit of time off, it was about 2.5 weeks after the procedure my friend had a 30th birthday BBQ I figured I'd just chuck on a pair of sunglasses and enjoy myself, so as I prepare to leave I throw on my Oakley's and walk outside in the bright sunshine...........I could see everything crystal clear with very little ghosting, it was a revelation my vision was good enough that I can easily drive, and these glasses weren't even prescription.
The only downside was I only got this effect in bright sunlight if I moved inside I would need to swap to my normal glasses and suffered the same heavy ghosting as before, butit wad at least a little more positive.
I carried on going out as much as possible during the good weather ( I live in eastbourne so sun is frequent at this time of year) after about 4 weeks the opticians agreed to test me for new glasses, I got them a few days later and in most cases have very good vision with them, but the biggest revelation is that I can actually manage without glasses or contacts quite well.

Overall I am pleased with things so far and look forward to a years time when the CXL is completely settled and I'll know where I am at with it, dealing with this condition certainly is a lession in patience.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Tue 11 Aug 2015 10:24 pm

That's brilliant mate I'm glad things are working out for you!

I don't want to burst your bubble but my vision got a lot better after a few weeks but then it gradually went back to how it was beforehand... hopefully you'll retain some of your good vision; it certainly isn't unheard of :mrgreen:

Gaz2k21
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Gaz2k21 » Wed 12 Aug 2015 6:29 am

CrippsCorner wrote:That's brilliant mate I'm glad things are working out for you!

I don't want to burst your bubble but my vision got a lot better after a few weeks but then it gradually went back to how it was beforehand... hopefully you'll retain some of your good vision; it certainly isn't unheard of :mrgreen:

Thanks, I'm optimistic but understand it may not be a permanent thing.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”