Portable Magnifiers - Which One?!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Stace234
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Portable Magnifiers - Which One?!

Postby Stace234 » Wed 08 Apr 2015 9:38 pm

Hello All,

I am looking to purchase a portable magnifier to help with reading paperwork in the workplace and also books, menus etc.

Can anyone recommend one? There seems to be so much on offer and i have no idea what i should be looking for in one. Also are there places you can try them out?

Thanks
Stacey :)
"A journey of thousands of miles starts with one tiny step"

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Portable Magnifiers - Which One?!

Postby Grant » Thu 09 Apr 2015 12:05 am

Can't help on recommendations, this shop which is local to me has several to try: http://www.vistablind.org.uk/shop

I would imaging the RNIB shop in London would be another place to look.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 09 Apr 2015 9:14 am

I suspect this is another case where a magnifier that works for one person with KC isn't necessarily going to be the best one for someone else, so trying different ones out is the best bet. Does your local hospital have a low vision clinic that you could ask to be referred to and get some advice? As Grant says, local blind societies often have various equipment on display. And the various manufacturers and distributors of low vision aids go to various events around the country to exhibit their wares. The biggest of these are the Sight Village events, but if you google 'low vision events, you'll find a number of other events around the country and hopefully there will be one near you.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Sat 11 Apr 2015 9:39 am

Iv an Optelec (sp*) whcih I adore as you can change the background colours as well as magnification options so that works well for me,

can you be in contact withthe low vision liaison for your local eye hospital? they should have magnifiers you can try out n even borrow for a low if not free cost

Lea x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Return to “General Discussion Forum”