Referred for CXL

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

kieran19685
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Referred for CXL

Postby kieran19685 » Thu 02 Apr 2015 9:06 pm

Hi All

Went for a 6 month check up today and my KC in my better eye has got slight worst over the past 6 months went from 45 to 47 (whatever that means). Anyways they have suggested Cross Linking and referred me to Moorfields in London (even know i live in Leicester but originally from London) for treatment on the NHS.

Obviously its not risk free and a tricky decision as i am getting great vision still with contacts

any advice ?

Thanks

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Re: Referred for CXL

Postby CrippsCorner » Thu 02 Apr 2015 11:08 pm

That's not a massive change your eye's experienced, but the tough question is... what if it carries on getting worse? If you're ever going to get CXL performed, it's best to do it as soon as possible. After my own experiences I'm dubious about recommending it when you are managing well, but ultimately it's you that has to make the choice!

MattD87
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby MattD87 » Fri 03 Apr 2015 9:02 am

I'm in a similar boat, having had cxl done in my worse eye.

Last scan on My good was 49 dioptres, which has been classed as mild, and I can still see fine in the day (quite a bit of ghosting at night and reading light text on dark backgrounds). Unfortunately there are no previous scans to check progression, if any.

I had two lines of sight improvement in my bad eye at my week check up, but it now seems at least the same of possibly worse than pre op. I know this will keep fluctuating though, and even with any improvement it's still essentially useless.

Thats the dilemma, do I get it done and hopefully keep good vision for as long as possible or wait to see clear progression and possibly lose some sight in the mean time.. Today I'm thinking just go for it but it regularly changes.

To me 2 dioptres in 6 months is quite a big change (although I admit this is the side of KC I'm not too sure of having not long been in the system) , so it's progressing. You obviously need to make your own call, but rest assured there are others out there wrestling with similar!

kieran19685
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby kieran19685 » Mon 13 Apr 2015 8:23 pm

Do you roughly know how long it takes after being referred to actually having the treatment done could take on the NHS?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”