Keratoconus at work

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jamieb-flex
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Keratoconus at work

Postby Jamieb-flex » Mon 09 Mar 2015 10:42 am

Hello I am a new member I'm 22 and have hade KC for 6 years now, however over the last year Iv been really struggling at work with the condition. I work on building sites laying kerbs and the wind,dust,rain,sun, really do effect me a lot now. Over the last year I have tried many many pairs of safety goggles but nothing seams to work I still get dust behind my lenses and if it's not dust then it's blinded by sunlight or steamed up goggles due to rain.
Iv read a few posts from people on here who have had help at work with dealing with KC but due to me being self employed I can only help myself. I'm affraid that I am never going to be able to carry on with my job and I'm looking into a change of carreer. My question is has anyone on here ever changed careers due to KC and is there any government funding out there for people in my situation.

Many thanks

Jamie

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Keratoconus at work

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 09 Mar 2015 10:51 am

Hello Jamieb-flex, welcome to the forum. I am sure that there will be somebody along who can answer your questions, but in the meantime let me wish you well as you grapple with problems and face decisions that will affect your future. Every good wish.
Andrew MacLean

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Keratoconus at work

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 09 Mar 2015 10:57 am

Hello Jamie and welcome to the forum,
Have you ever tried scleral lenses - the ones that cover the whole of the eye? The way they're designed means that it's impossible for dust to get behind them, so they might just work for you. Though not all hospital eye departments do them.
We do have members who have changed career, though I don't know if that applies to any current forum users. Your best bet would be to talk to an employment advisor at the charity Action for Blind People (who, despite their name, deal with all sorts of eye conditions including KC). They have offices in various parts of the country - you can find your nearest one by going to their website http://www.actionforblindpeople.org.uk and looking at the 'find your local office' section. There is a scheme called Access to Work which might help you. And they might have ideas about re-training for you.
I hope that helps. If you'd like me to send you some of the information we produce such as our information booklet on KC, just e-mail your postal address to me at anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk

Return to “General Discussion Forum”