Cornea transplant another other options?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

vwbug2010

Cornea transplant another other options?

Postby vwbug2010 » Sat 21 Feb 2015 8:15 pm

Hi there folks I have a bad left eye not much vision and I have been told I need a cornea transplant as my vision is very distorted and the cornea is scarred. Is this the best way to go are there any other options? I have quite good vision in my right eye but my left is really bad can only make out shapes. Cant see the top letter on an eye chart. If a cornea transplant is the only option who is the best to go and see any recommendations? I like in the south west Stroud near Gloucester. Have been to Bristol eye hospital but have not had alot of confidence in the advice I have received...

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Cornea transplant another other options?

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 23 Feb 2015 11:06 am

Hello VW, welcome to the forum.

I am afraid that if your cornea is scarred then a transplant may be the only option. Scarring of the cornea can result from a number of things, but if the scar is in your field of vision and if it penetrates into the stroma of the cornea then the blur it creates may not be correctable without the tissue being replaced. Sometimes scarring penetrates the full thickness of the cornea, even affecting the endothelium.

Every good wish.
Andrew MacLean

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby CrippsCorner » Tue 24 Feb 2015 8:22 am

Do you know how you got the scar? I'm wondering if corneal 'haze' can be referred to as scarring too (which I have)

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 24 Feb 2015 10:47 am

Hi VW,
I'm not clear from your post whether your vision is with contact lenses of some kind, or whether that's unaided vision. There's now a wide range of contact lenses for KC, including scleral lenses (the ones that cover the whole eye) which might give you better vision, depending on how bad the scarring is. A lot of scarring (which sometimes happens as part of KC progression) would probably mean that CXL or Intacs wouldn't help you. If a transplant is your only option, there are plenty of us here on the forum who have had good results from transplants though it's by no means an instant solution! As for where, the general advice is that surgeons in the big city hospitals (which would include Bristol) are the ones who are likely to be doing transplants regularly and so have a lot of expertise.
If you e-mail me your postal address anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk I can send you our information booklet on KC which covers all the current options.
Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”