Buteyko, holding your breath and a corneal transplant

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

sky1
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Buteyko, holding your breath and a corneal transplant

Postby sky1 » Sat 06 Dec 2014 10:05 pm

Hi all,

I have asthma and have been looking into the Buteyko technique to help with this. The breathing exercises involve holding your breath, so I was just wondering do you think this would harm my eyes in anyway? I know you are not supposed to hold your breath post graft but does this continue throughout your lifetime? I have tried gently a few times, monitoring my eyes as I go. I am one year post graft on my right eye and 11 years post graft on my left eye.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I do not want to harm my eyes in anyway.

Thank you so much
Sarah x

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Buteyko, holding your breath and a corneal transplant

Postby GarethB » Tue 06 Jan 2015 3:53 pm

I've been using breathing techniques for my asthma for over 30 years and was never told this would be a problem when I had my grafts done over 25 years ago and nothing has been said since.

The things that cause problems with our eyes post graft includes anything that rapidly increases the eye pressure and I can't see that holding your breath as part of asthma breathing techniques would make this a problem. Now holding your breath while lifting a heavy weight, that's a differ mater.

Before taking my advice or from others on this forum, you should discuss this with your consultant as they know you medical background so can give an informed answer, all we can do is share our experiences.
Gareth

sky1
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Buteyko, holding your breath and a corneal transplant

Postby sky1 » Tue 11 Aug 2015 8:24 am

Gareth I'm so sorry I've only just seen this post! Thank you for your help and advice. I didn't commit to the exercises but have started yoga and meditation and haven't used an inhaler for months! Will hopefully continue this way.

Many thanks x

Return to “General Discussion Forum”