Night Driving Work Nightmare

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Stace234
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Night Driving Work Nightmare

Postby Stace234 » Thu 04 Dec 2014 11:27 pm

I hate winter... The short days make my life a nightmare.

I guess most of us get this problem but I wondered how people get around it. I work in schools and at a base where I coach. I often have to travel to schools arriving early 7:30am and then switch from the school to our base around 4:30pm then finish work at 7:30pm.

In the summer this causes no problem as all my driving is in daylight, however I am currently struggling to deal with it now the nights are closing in. 90%my driving is currently in the dark and I have no idea what to do about it. There are no direct bus routes or public transport, work requires my to get from my school to the base in a short time frame (due to class timings). The journeys are around 20-30 minutes drive, so i can't cycle or walk.

I am the only one available to work the schools (due to qualifications) and therefore have no option but to go in. My KC is bad.. And I'm only just on the driving limit as it is. The whole, streaks, halo, ghosting, double vision etc etc etc...

I don't know what to do... But I often feel uneasy about driving and sometimes, in rush hour, unsafe.

Does anyone have a solution or an idea?
Is there any way to improve night vision with KC?
Why is there no help for people trying to make a living with KC.

Thanks
Stacey
"A journey of thousands of miles starts with one tiny step"

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Night Driving Work Nightmare

Postby CrippsCorner » Thu 04 Dec 2014 11:40 pm

Sorry to hear of your situation, night time driving is one of the most limiting factors I've experienced from keratoconus. Just recently I went on holiday with my girlfriend (she doesn't drive) and we couldn't go anywhere after 15:00 in case we got stuck and couldn't get back...

One thing I have noticed recently is that driving someone else's car was much better. After some reading up it seems my windscreen has been scratched by previously bad fitting wipers... so I've ordered a kit to polish them back to how they should be. Although, the guys on the detailing forum told me there's no substitute for getting a brand new windscreen, unfortunately my insurance is only third party so that isn't an option for me.

Pauly
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby Pauly » Fri 05 Dec 2014 8:56 am

I know how you feel. I have to stay home at night. I live in the middle of Wisconsin its cold and icy and pitch black by 5 pm. Do you wear RGP lenses Stace? That would probably help the situation. I only drove at night in very familiar places. Hope you figure it out as I know exactly what you are dealing with.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Fri 05 Dec 2014 11:15 am

Do you wear RGP's yourself Pauly? I tried them for several months and personally the thing I absolutely couldn't do with them was drive at night! It was like I was travelling at warp speed every time I saw a lamp post. Are your experiences different?

Stace234
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Stace234 » Fri 05 Dec 2014 12:42 pm

I can't wear rpg lenses, due to the cornea being too fragile after CXL so I am told by my consultant.

Seems such a ridiculous situation. How can KC effect our lives so much. To the point I fear for the security of my job?!

How do you cope with driving home from work? Lamp posts and on coming cars are my major problem. Oh and brake lights arent my favourite either but more bearable!
"A journey of thousands of miles starts with one tiny step"

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 05 Dec 2014 5:09 pm

I don't know if this is still an option with all the cutbacks there have been to budgets. But it used to be possible to get help through the Access to Work scheme for precisely this sort of situation, with a driver provided to get someone to and from work. It's worth talking to an employment advisor at your nearest branch of Action for Blind People (www.actionforblindpeople.org.uk) or to the Access to Work person at your local JobcentrePlus to see whether this sort of help is still available.
Anne

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Fri 05 Dec 2014 6:41 pm

Stace234 wrote:How do you cope with driving home from work?

I just 'manage' as my work is only a few miles away, and I know the roads well. Same with visiting my girlfriend in the evenings. I won't drive out of town when it's dark though... luckily my girlfriend is taking driving lessons atm so she's soon going to be my eyes at night.

Pauly
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby Pauly » Fri 05 Dec 2014 11:09 pm

No I have not tried hard contacts yet.

DrG
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby DrG » Sat 06 Dec 2014 2:24 pm

Hey, I sympathize, but have you searched this forum for advice? Please look up posts by ax628 and AirlineDreams who both have found relief from their night vision disturbances with special scleral lenses.

"Clean the windscreen"? Indeed!

Mas-tech
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mas-tech » Sat 03 Jan 2015 1:26 am

I've been wearing RGP lenses for three years. I've found two things that improve my night time vision:
1. Ensuring the windscreen is clean and even the inside of the windscreen.
2. If I can I'll take my lenses out, give them a clean and rest my eyes for say 30 mins or so. I find this really helps as cleaning the lens gets ride of all the grease that builds up throughout the day.
3. I used to have dry eyes due to the contacts lens solution I used when I first had them since changing I don't have it any more and the whole 'time warp' affect isn't as bad.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”