advice re ipad/Samsung tablets

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

sky1
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

advice re ipad/Samsung tablets

Postby sky1 » Mon 10 Nov 2014 9:57 am

Hi,
I hope everyone is well.

I was just wondering if anyone could please help me as I'm looking into buying a tablet to help me with my KC.

I am now able to use my Samsung phone up close which is great but obviously my eyes do get tired if I'm using it for any length of time. So I'm looking into both the ipad and Samsung tablets and was just wondering if anyone uses one or has some advice as to which is the best for people with low vision.

I do worry about screen time and the effect of artificial light on the eyes. Are there any apps or screen covers that can be used to reduce this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks
Sarah

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: advice re ipad/Samsung tablets

Postby Grant » Mon 10 Nov 2014 6:52 pm

Typing this on an iPad, the pinch zoom is excellent for when I'm having a bad eye day. I don't think Android is any better or worse than Apple for KC use, cones down to personal choice, budget, form factor etc.

eyepod
Contributor
Contributor

Postby eyepod » Mon 10 Nov 2014 9:41 pm

I have an iPad - one feature I really like about it is the ease that you can invert the colours (just quickly press the home button 3 times) - I find it much easier to read white text on a black background when my contacts are out and my glasses are on as there is less glare! You may be able to do this with Android also but I don't know!

Cheers,

Eyepod

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Mon 10 Nov 2014 10:47 pm

Hi I use a Surface (Microsoft's tablet) and I think it's fantastic tbh... another world to Android and iOS, but it depends what you want it for I suppose. I do have an iPhone 6 though, and the 'zoom' mode is great if you need that little extra. Not sure if the iPad's have this?

sky1
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sky1 » Tue 11 Nov 2014 5:28 pm

Thank you so much for your replies!

That's great you can invert the colours on the ipad and the extra zoom function, I definitely find it easier with white on a black background when my lens is out. I will check to see if the Samsung tablet does that also. I do love my samsung phone, especially the ease of use and I've heard you can be a little restricted with Apple in terms of software and apps. I just wanted it to browse the internet really and make it easier on my eyes to do to. I currently use a little netbook (with all the fonts/display enlarged) which is ok but not ideal. Do you know if you can enlarge the display on the ipad before zooming?

The Surface by Microsoft looks amazing, thanks Crippscorner.....but probably a little out of my price range. The only downside to Samsung I can find so far is that if you want to use word documents you have to purchase extra software but on the ipad you can download word documents etc.....just thinking if I go back to studying this may be a better option.

Thanks again for your advice guys, much appreciated :)

Sarah x

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Tue 11 Nov 2014 6:52 pm

Regarding the price it's worth pointing out there are two versions of the Surface...

Surface Pro 3 which is a fully fledged computer, and therefore quite expensive.

Surface 2 which starts at only £259 and is basically Microsoft's version of the iPad :P using an app store etc. but still has full USB support and a keyboard attachment, which I personally find so much better than using an on-screen keyboard.

sky1
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sky1 » Wed 12 Nov 2014 11:57 am

Amazing thanks crippscorner, that looks like a viable option then! I like the detachable keyboard too and spec wise it looks good.

Thanks again for your advice

Sarah

Return to “General Discussion Forum”