Update

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

kieran19685
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Update

Postby kieran19685 » Fri 06 Jun 2014 3:34 pm

Went for my check up today and my piggybacking as been stopped as there is signs that one vessel has started to grow near the cornea, nothing to worry about however this never happened when just using RGP's, and they are keen to avoid any complications in the future.

They are ordering me a new RGP lens with a Plasma coating - which will help with the dry eyes. Sounds promising - anyone heard of this before?

Also I have been struggling with my eye left for a while - she recommended a graft now as I had central scarring on the eye which makes it difficult to fit a contact lens.

Not feeling to down about this as I fully expected the need for a graft on my left eye.

Thanks

Lia Williams

Re: Update

Postby Lia Williams » Sat 07 Jun 2014 5:31 pm

Kieran,

No, I've not heard of plasma coated lenses before. I do hope that it works for you.

LIa

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 10 Jun 2014 12:15 pm

No idea about the plasma coating, but a graft due to corneal scaring is a worry.

I know many people who have been told this is why they have needed a graft wich is an absolute last resort as you may still need contact lenses.

Instead most of these people tried different lens types, sclerals, soft lenses for KC etc and of all the people that took this option I haven't heard of any that have gone on to have a graft. The scarring remains unchanged and in many cases it starts to reduce. So from what I have learnt, try the other lens types first and walk away from RGP's, I did because of the problems they were causing my grafts.
Gareth

kieran19685
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby kieran19685 » Wed 11 Jun 2014 12:19 pm

Hi Gareth

I have tried a few different types of RGP's on the left eye by comfort and vision isnt great (even piggybacking). Its like looking through a scar with the left eye only.

They said a graft is the only option as theres scarring.

Thanks

Return to “General Discussion Forum”