Anyone Wearing Sclerals?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

AirlineDreams
Vision: Spectacles

Anyone Wearing Sclerals?

Postby AirlineDreams » Wed 04 Jun 2014 2:58 pm

Hi folks, I have been fitted with my first pair of RGP lenses. First, some reflection: just to think about the available technology, the fact that a doctor can scan a cornea, generate a computer image, and 3d print a custom fit lens, with microscopic adjustments, is really nothing short of mind bending. Just think of the advances that are to come. So anyone reading this who has just been diagnosed, know that you are living in an amazing time and you can find a solution for your condition.

Anyway, the vision in RGP's is almost perfect in each eye, and 20/20 with both eyes. However, like most, I see significant halos and ghosts above everything, especially lights. I also have a low cone, which sits below my pupil so vision in glasses is very reasonable, but really makes the ghosts and halos harder to deal with.

Has anyone been fit with scleral lenses that addressed the ghosting / halos?

DrG
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Re: Anyone Wearing Sclerals?

Postby DrG » Wed 04 Jun 2014 3:50 pm

It's possible in some cases that a very well-fit scleral lens will achieve the desired visual results without any special design features, but that is probably the exception. A couple of studies have been published in the U.S. regarding scleral lenses with wavefront-guided optics and their effects on improving vision in keratoconus subjects. Those studies were authored by researchers who work in academe. For a number of years I have worked to make this process available to my patients, and with great success. You can find out more about this and our system for achieving it on http://www.laserfitlens.com .

Recently a patient from the UK came to us as a result of my posting on this website. We did eliminate the double vision and achieved 20/15 visual acuity in both eyes. At some point I will write it up and post it on the website. Unfortunately, I am only aware of this technology being available either in our U.S. clinic and one or two academic centers. It is not likely to be available from the optician near you in the near future due to complexities in execution. The equipment and software required would more than likely not be affordable for the average occasional fitter.

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 04 Jun 2014 4:27 pm

My all time favourite lenses were Sclerals. Can't wear them now after transplant surgery, but they were comfortable to wear, easy to insert/remove and give me really good sight.
Andrew MacLean

AirlineDreams
Vision: Spectacles

Postby AirlineDreams » Wed 04 Jun 2014 4:58 pm

Dr. G, thank you for this info. Do you know where the academic centers are that do this? I am on the East Coast and Texas is a bit a ways from me.

DrG
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby DrG » Wed 04 Jun 2014 6:15 pm

Sure, there is Dr. G. Yoon, a Ph.D., not an M.D., at the University of Rochester (NY) who was working with the Boston Foundation for Sight. The lenses were all PROSE lenses manufactured in Boston. I do not know if wavefront-guided lenses are available there as I have heard conflicting stories. You will have to inquire.

Then there is Marsack and Applegate at the University of Houston College of Optometry in Houston, Texas. I do not know if those lenses are available outside of a study.

Mine, on the other hand, are available today with several years of research and manufacturing already behind them (patents as well).

khalid4423
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Postby khalid4423 » Wed 04 Jun 2014 6:27 pm

I just got a right my first scleral lens a couple of weeks ago as I have been struggling with comfort with the "normal" rgps. I dont think they are the correct fit as my vision isnt great with them and also they seem to be a bit tight at times. Also after a couple of hrs my vision goes blurry. Anyone else experience the same? I do go back the the hospital on Thursday.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”