Had my second CT, time to consider CXL...

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Had my second CT, time to consider CXL...

Postby CrippsCorner » Sat 28 Jun 2014 10:52 am

Well yesterday was CXL day! The procedure itself was painless apart from a slight twinge taking the clips out from my eye. Got home and felt fine for hours, wondered what I was worrying about! However the pain did come and it did get pretty intense for around 6-7 hours. Obviously took painkillers and various eye drops...

Had a nice lay in and woke up about an hour ago and tbh it's made the world off difference. So far no pain at all! Vision obviously very blurry, I don't think it's gotten any better yet, but early days innit. I guess it'll just gradually become sharper again over the next few days/weeks? I know I can't use contacts atm, but glasses are making literally no difference. Still can't get that scraping feeling out of my head lol, couldn't feel any pain but could feel the pressure if that makes sense, so strange! Anyway, here'e me with cyborg mode engaged...

CXL.jpg
(69.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet

James_Ldn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby James_Ldn » Sat 28 Jun 2014 5:17 pm

Well done for getting through it! At least the worst is over now.

For me the blurriness wasn't too bad after two weeks or so, but it probably took 3 months before my vision was back to how it was pre-cross linking. But for some people it can be sooner, so you may be lucky.

Another thing I had for both eyes was light sensitivity between 7-14 days after the cxl, so you may have that to look forward to!

danieljdavies
Contributor
Contributor

Postby danieljdavies » Sun 29 Jun 2014 6:50 am

maybe invest in some shades to help with the brightness!

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Sun 29 Jun 2014 6:14 pm

Can't wait for the blurriness to fade, rather annoying! I'm using an eye patch when looking at screens as it's disorientating otherwise. Did you feel any scratching when blinking? I had this before the procedure but putting in a contact always stopped it, however I have the contact bandage thing still in but it is scratching a bit :| back in on Tuesday to get it taken out.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Fri 04 Jul 2014 7:52 pm

Thought of something today... obviously a means of getting keratoconus can be through rubbing your eyes. After CXL, can rubbing them still affect it? I know it's not good practice to anyway, just wondering if it's less of an issue afterwards.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Wed 24 Sep 2014 2:40 pm

Well had another scan today; 3 months after CXL. It seems my astigmatism has been reduced slightly, however my cornea has continued to thin. The consultant told me this is normal at first, but should stabilize over the next 12 months or so. I have a new set of contacts coming, which going from my eye test today, could be quite good... but I'll reserve judgement until they get here!

I also have to consider my better eye now. The cornea has increased in thinness over the past year, but only very slightly. The consultant said I'm right on the board line to whether it's worth performing it. He said if I was 20, it'd be a no-brainer... do. it. If I was 40, it'd be a no-brainer... don't do it. But being 30, it could go either way. Any opinions here? The print outs I got today were different to ones I've had before, but maybe this means something to someone!

K1: 44.3D
K2: 45.8D
KMax: 49.1D
Axis: 70.5°
Q-val: -0.73
QS: OK
Pachy Thin. Locat.: O 466
Dist. Aphex-Thin.Loc.: IN 0.21mm
F.Ele.Th: 11
B/Ele.Th: 23
Progression Index:
Min: 1.17
Max: 1.77
Avg: 1.48
ARTmax: 263

Stace234
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Stace234 » Wed 24 Sep 2014 9:28 pm

Hello

I've had CXL in both eyes last year, 3 months apart. I took 1 week off work and drove after that. Like you I needed to drive to my job. My KC is advanced and I was boarderline for the surgery although I have now seen some stabilising in both eyes. If it was around when I first saw progression I would have 100% gone for it ASAP.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
"A journey of thousands of miles starts with one tiny step"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”