How Do You Manage Halo / Ghosting?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

AirlineDreams
Vision: Spectacles

How Do You Manage Halo / Ghosting?

Postby AirlineDreams » Mon 12 May 2014 2:41 pm

Hi folks, I thought I would start this dedicated thread to see how folks in general are dealing with ghosting / halos. How do you deal with ghosting / halos? Have you found contacts that greatly reduce or completely eliminate it? What about after cross-linking or other procedures? Better or worse with / without glasses?

My halos / ghosting in glasses are not bad, but obviously are more pronounced at night. I'm going for my first RGP fitting tomorrow and I'm really hoping that the ghosting doesn't increase along with the visual acuity!

(Seriously, where are the bionic robot eyes to replace these busted peepers!) :P

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: How Do You Manage Halo / Ghosting?

Postby CrippsCorner » Tue 13 May 2014 7:34 am

Hi there. You sound quite like me tbh... currently wearing glasses although going through various contact lens fitments (since December!)

Basically, I've found that glasses, soft lenses and hard lenses all give pretty much the same level of ghosting... very frustrating. With RGP's I only had them for a couple of weeks, and my prescription was never tweaked other than the initial fitting, so perhaps they would have improved? Unfortunately I found the vision to comfort ratio not worth persisting with, but, that wouldn't go for everyone; luckily my keratoconus is only moderate so I get sharp enough vision from glasses/soft lenses.

It doesn't help the ghosting though and it really is the most depressing part of the condition for me. They're currently tweaking some toric lenses for me and I hope that when they are the perfect fit, it will be reduced slightly, but I'm not holding my breath.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 14 May 2014 3:34 pm

Put this in your original thread, but no harm in repeating myself :)

This was being discussed on another thread and over the weekend I really pushed friends and relatives to describe in detail their visin and to my surprise a number of them who wear glasses, contacts instead of glasses and those with 'normal' vision to soem extent under certain conditions see streaks and halos. A discussion with an optom who has recently had a cataract operation asked how I coped with seeing detail all the time and the conclusion we came to is that because we have an eye problem we are acutely aware of anything like halos and streaks. Those who don't have these issues can tune them out and I think that is why as I have become confident in my Kerasoft lenses I don't notice these defects in vision as mucha s I once did, only really when I change lens prescriptions.

To me this was reinforced after spending the day in a work environment where I had to wear hearing protection all morning and it blocked out all noise, so all you heard was your own heartbeat and breathing that naturally resonates through your body. When I was back in the normal work environment everything was loud, it was hard to focus on what one person was saying because of all the background noise from airconditioning. After about an hour all was normal again I I was able to focus my hearing so I was only hearing what the person I was meeting was saying.

For some the problems will always be there but I think for many of us we can adapt so that when we see things we see only the important things, this I know is hard to do because we do need to be aware of when our vision does change so a balance has to be struck somewhere.
Gareth

munster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby munster » Thu 15 May 2014 2:30 pm

There is another factor to this problem. Unilateral and bilateral vision.

A person with bilateral vision and KC has a much better chance of reducing the halo/glare/ghosting effects, and getting better visual acuity. This is because the brain as normal, superimposes the two images to make a better image, and ignoring the defects between. This is in addition to the added acuity of what lens correction provides.

A person with unilateral vision with KS, such as myself have no chance of reducing halos/glare/ghosting effects, only to the degree of what the lens correction can provide. This is because the brain only has one image to work from, and can't ignore defects from another slightly clearer image. This is a particular problem for people with lazy eyes, who can't be corrected, even with lenses to any significant degree.

Its surprising that many people with KC can forget that unilateral and bilateral vision plays a part in visual acuity, as well as lens correction. I've had a lazy right eye since the age of 8, due to a squint. I'm now 40, and left eye dominate. There is no way to get my right eye anywhere near driving standards with any lens correction. Simply, because my brain has got so used to just using the left eye for detailed vision.

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Fri 16 May 2014 10:36 am

That's interesting, maybe you can shed some light on this...

When it comes to reading text, with correction my left eye is really quite good. My right eye however is terrible. When I cover my right eye there is little to no difference compared to what I see with both, i.e. my left eye is doing a fantastic job of overpowering the right eye... I'm so thankful for this! However, when it comes to light sources it's a different story. I see reflections going to the right from my left eye, and reflections going to the left and down from my left eye. This isn't cancelled out at all, and I see all the reflections together which is unfortunately a complete mess.

My question is, why can the left eye compensate for the right eye when it comes to text... but not from light sources?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”