Piggybacking - more advice

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

kieran19685
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Piggybacking - more advice

Postby kieran19685 » Sun 11 May 2014 11:16 am

Hi all

Been piggybacking for the last few weeks but I have started to become a bit anxious whether my eyes are getting enough oxygen!

I am using breathable monthly disposables called air optix - but I am worried that piggybacking could lead to blood vessels growing into the cornea. Any signs on what to look out for? Or how to avoid this?

I am probably being paranoid but thought I would check!

When I look at my eyes I do notice a few blood vessels in the white of my eyes but again I think I'm being paranoid

Thanks for any advice

andytraill
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Re: Piggybacking - more advice

Postby andytraill » Mon 12 May 2014 9:20 pm

Hi Kieran,

You'll be ok. The air optix are meant for sleeping in etc so pretty great at that. The hard obviously not but still.

Anyways I used to switch the soft lens for a fresh wet one half way through the day just to help stop it drying out a bit. Generally is like a breath of fresh air.

Hope it helps,
Andrew

kieran19685
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby kieran19685 » Tue 13 May 2014 11:56 am

Thanks for that.

Reasurres me.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 14 May 2014 3:55 pm

Some eye units only prvide a limited uantity of soft lenses so exceeding this may result in additional expense so worth being aware of.

One sign before blood vessels start growing is that your eyes will probably go very pink. If this keeps happening then blood vessels can start to grow.

Although the soft lenses are designed for sleeping in, as you are piggybacking the oxygen trasnfer to the cornea will be reduced because of the two lens types with their own inherent permeability rates and the increased total material thickness oxygen will need to trasfer through.

Another sign of poor oxygenr trasnfer is oedema which sit eh cornea becoming waterlogged and eventually everything goes foogy and stayts foggy once you take the lesnes out. When I first tried soft lenses this occured to me and an early warning before things went foggy was that tha haol round a white light would turn from a white ring in to a rainbow ring. Very pretty but potentially very dmagng to the eye.

This later lead to me trialig the Keraosft III contact lenses before moving on to the Kewrasoft IC so I am wholly soft silicon hydrogen contact lenses for KC and get perfect vision, bette than when I was on RGP lenses, lens wear all my waking hours and only have to fiddle around with one loens type and my expenmse on solutions is half what it was for RGP lenses.

So ther are always other alternatives to explore should you find the need.
Gareth

kieran19685
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby kieran19685 » Thu 15 May 2014 9:33 am

Hi Gareth

I have noticed on a few occassions when the lens have been all day pink marks on my eyes. I have also noticed over the last few weeks that when piggybacking my eyes are foggey once the lens have been taken out. Quite worried now. Is it best if i stop piggybacking? They didnt mention any of this when i was given the soft lens.

Also really struggling with dry eyes still at work.

I am very keen to try alternative lens such as Keraosft III - how could i go about this?

Thanks

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Thu 15 May 2014 4:02 pm

I'm finding eye drops during the day are helping with comfort and vision with my piggybacks - I sit in an air-conditioned office right underneath a vent.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 16 May 2014 11:46 am

The basic rule of thumb is thata if soemthing doen't look right you should get it checked out. It is always best to play it safe and find you were worrying about nothing rather than push on and find there is something wrong which then takes much longer to fix.

I don't think what you are experiencing is that common which may be why it isn't advertised, so if your next check up is quite close, make sure youe mention it, if it is two or more months away, then a brief visit to eye casualty just to put your mind at ease would be the route I would go.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”