General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

tigger7878
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby tigger7878 » Sat 19 Apr 2014 9:24 pm

Hi my name is sarah I was diagnosed KC in my mid twenties which was managed for a couple of years in hard lenses after 2 years I developed legions on both eyes and then had the silicone night and day I had excellent vision until recently I've now been deteriorating over the last 2 months and am now having to go on to the hybrid lens as I've had shape changes. I'm worrying a bit about this and am scared I won't get on with them. Can anyone give me there experiences on these lenses. I'm still classed as mild KC however my vision is -12 which makes it seem worse. Xxx

Lia Williams

Re: Newbie

Postby Lia Williams » Sun 20 Apr 2014 10:37 am

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum.

I've not tried hybrid lenses myself but I understand that they should give you vision of a hard lens and the comfort of a soft. I'm currently wearing piggy backs (corneal RGP lenses with disposable soft lenses underneath) and they work very well for me. I think that with any lenses you won't know whether or not they will work for you unless you try them.

I know what you mean about -12 making vision seem worse even if it is classified as mild KC. I have a similar prescription. Do you have any back up glasses? For years I understood that glasses wouldn't be any use for me - but was pleasantly surprised to find that they are of some use at the beginning and end of the day.

Good luck with the hybrids, and do let us know how you get on.

Lia

tigger7878

Postby tigger7878 » Sun 20 Apr 2014 11:00 am

Hi, I have unsuitable glasses at the moment as everything distorted I'm now going to be having new ones but at £370 for lenses I'm gonna have to wait to save some funds up. I'm now waiting on a consultant app hope won't be very long I have to see well to clean there instruments lol x

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Sun 20 Apr 2014 11:20 am

Hi Tigger,

I don't know if you are near to a Costco store and can qualify as a member - they have quoted me £120 for lenses for my -12 prescription compared to £400 from my normal optician.

tigger7878

Postby tigger7878 » Sun 20 Apr 2014 2:36 pm

Hi Grant,
i'v not heard of costco not sure if there is one in this area i'm in suffolk/Norfolk if any help.
i am thinking of shopping around and see if i can find them cheaper. xx

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Sun 20 Apr 2014 4:09 pm

It's a members-only retailer that sells groceries etc in bulk. Each store has an optical department that can provide prescriptions and dispense glasses. I took my prescription in a few months ago expecting them to say no, but thats when they said £120.

www.costco.co.uk Thurrock looks to be the nearest to you.

tigger7878

Postby tigger7878 » Sun 20 Apr 2014 5:29 pm

Aww wish it was closer I may have to get a price at spec savers see what they will charge or I could try asda the one near me do optical x

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Mon 21 Apr 2014 10:17 pm

Why not get your lenses on the NHS?

£54 per lens... I started off privately as I wanted them quicker but when they started quoting me £300-400 I soon changed my mind! Plus if anything, NHS can be even quicker sometimes.

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Tue 22 Apr 2014 11:23 am

How does that work Cripps? Do you just take your chosen frames along to the NHS optometrist and ask them to fit lenses?

I've paid the £54 per lens for contacts, didn't know the service was available for glasses.

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Tue 22 Apr 2014 8:25 pm

Hi Grant and Cripps,

I think you are at cross purposes here.

Sarah was talking about the lenses for her glasses which are very expensive due to her high prescription and the need for high index lenses. Occasionally some opticians do have offers on high index lenses and it can reduce the price significantly.

There is some NHS help for glasses if you have a high prescription. For prescriptions that are + or - 10 dioptres you can get a complex voucher for (from 1st April 2014) £14.40 or £36.60 if you need bifocals/varifocals. In addition if you have a complex voucher you can also get a free NHS eye test.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/895.aspx?Ca ... goryID=157

The charge for medical contact lenses is now (from 1 April 2014) is £55.80 each.

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”