son's corneal graft operation

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

cat66
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

son's corneal graft operation

Postby cat66 » Mon 24 Feb 2014 5:02 pm

Hello
My son who is 18 is having a corneal graft on left eye in 2 days time. It has been a hard decision to make and I am wondering if there are any other young people out there who have had the graft and can pass on any advice regarding post graft recovery.

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: son's corneal graft operation

Postby Grant » Mon 24 Feb 2014 6:15 pm

Hi cat, I can't pass on any advice but just wanted to say good luck to your son.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 25 Feb 2014 11:22 am

There are several young users who have been through both the decision making process and the operation. Your son may be able to make contact with them through the teenagers area of the forum.
all the best with the surgery.
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 03 Mar 2014 7:40 am

It's a while since I was 18 but I was 19 when I had the graft done in my right eye and 25 years on it is still going strong. I did have to give up a few things at the time but once it had healed, theonly thing I couldn't carry on was playing rugby.

The University was understanding too and this is before powerpoint presentations could be emailed to you and I had to use a cassette tape to record lectures and write them up later. Now with PowerPoint and laptops that can record lectures and even convert it to text makes life a lot easier than when I was recovering from grafts.

It is scary but plenty of help and support out there compared the 25 years ago, plus of all the patient groups that require corneal grafts, they are more succesful in people with keratoconus.
Gareth

cat66
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby cat66 » Fri 07 Mar 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks to those who replied. He had the graft a week ago and all is going well. We have got into a routine of administering the eye drops and on his first check up post op the eye doctor was very pleased. Fingers crossed it will continue.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”