Astounding in 2014

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Astounding in 2014

Postby space_cadet » Sat 15 Feb 2014 1:18 pm

I am astounded in 2014 in times of vast funding cuts, severe lack of donations to charitable organisations that a National Charity is still mailing out hard copies of a newsletter to its membership. How many people will have moved address since initally requesting newsletters n thus theres goes to waste, wasting not only printing costs but also postage too?

Many, like myself will find it difficult if not impossible to read printed word in hard format, and have to ask a loved one or friend to read to them, this is not only heart destroying for those of us who have to do this but rather embarasing and degrading to our self esteem to admit we need yet more help with tasks so many take for granted.

Solutions to this could include producing the newsletter as a podcast downloadable mp3 format which when ready could be simply emailed out to a database of email addresses, not to mention uploaded to the website, this would also enable membership to have a voice to those who are representing their charity in terms of committee members and or trustees or board level.

Surely paper isn't a answer tho as how much of it will be shreaded down n used for bedding for animals, or simply left to send to recycle once done with?

Come on it is 2014 lets embrace technology and utilise it before the charity is severely lacking behind others.
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

longhoc
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Astounding in 2014

Postby longhoc » Sun 16 Feb 2014 9:40 am

Hi space_cadet

This is something we do keep under review -- and balance the costs of printed mailing and postage for our newsletter vs. issuing it electronically.

While we do live in an age of electronic communications, printed/posted materials still have a higher level of impact, reader engagement and reliability then email. That's why our front doors continue to groan under an onslaught of junk mail -- if it wasn't effective, the companies sending it wouldn't do it. They'd just email. (e.g. http://dma.org.uk/news/direct-mail-driv ... l-response) And keeping track of email addresses is no easier than keeping a list of postal addresses up to date.

So for the time being, we'll keep sending out the newsletter in paper format. But we do continue to evaluate the costs/benefits of this approach.

Kind regards

Chris

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Sun 16 Feb 2014 1:12 pm

Would it be possible for the treasurer to enable us to see income and expenditure relating to how much is spent on printing costs and postage then? As surely we the memebrship have the democratic right to hold teh treasurer to account publicaly (I still havent had all the newsletter read to me)
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

longhoc

Postby longhoc » Sun 16 Feb 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Lea

Yes indeed, I pay the invoices so I know what the bills come to ! I don't have the invoice in yet for the last mailing but the September 2013 newsletter was £729.96 (our supplier didn't split the postage costs vs. the printing costs but that's the total. It doesn't vary much from newsletter to newsletter as we try to keep the number of pages -- which drives the cost -- the same each time).

Cheers

Chris

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Sun 16 Feb 2014 9:24 pm

where did the money that covered that nearly £730 come from?

longhoc

Postby longhoc » Sun 16 Feb 2014 9:31 pm

Hi Lea

We have only one source of funds -- general donations. We don't have income from capital / investments etc.

Cheers

Chris

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby CrippsCorner » Mon 17 Feb 2014 12:21 pm

I for one was thrilled to receive (my first ever) newsletter last week...

I spend far too long staring at screens each day which does my head in, so it's nice to get to read something on good old paper for once :mrgreen:

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Sat 22 Feb 2014 4:19 pm

Lea,

I fully understand you going on about the wastage and the costs of printing. I said the same thing a few years ago as most things are on-line so the committee sent out a questionnaire to ask who would like it to be electronically emailed. We had a huge response of 3 members out of 2000 asking for this!!!!!

If you want us to send you the newsletter electronically we can and are looking into putting them on-line so you can see them there.

We ask if members want us to have their email addresses for this reason, but most what printed resources. If you don't I can take your name off the mailing list as I sort that out. I also want to reinforce here THAT WE DO NOT GIVE ANY MEMBERS DETAILS TO THIRD PARTIES AS STEVEN WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT WE DO.

Thanks, Claire Xxx
Sweet X x X

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Sat 22 Feb 2014 5:33 pm

I cant read the caps at the end of your post Claire as I struggle with all caps in blocks c

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Sat 22 Feb 2014 7:30 pm

What I put in capitals, was to say that we do not give your details to third parties, though i know that Steven has posted saying we do.

All we hold on members is their name and address to send newsletters and conference things to. The information members give us doesn't go anywhere else.

Claire Xxx
Sweet X x X

Return to “General Discussion Forum”