CXL OPERATION

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

vintagerose1962
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

CXL OPERATION

Postby vintagerose1962 » Sun 09 Feb 2014 11:25 am

Good morning all,

Just a quick update:

Its been awhile since I posted but wanted to share the cxl experience with my daughters op, yesterday, the 8th of Feb.

Interestingly enough she had a visual assessment the day before, the Friday and whilst I have never heard of anyone yet who's vision had improved with KC, the optometrist when prompted how my daughters good eye is coming along, meaning has it got worse, she surprisingly said her good eyes vision had improved, as she could read 2 extra lines from the bottom of the eye chart. So what's going on? I know KC fluctuates but never heard of KC improving, has anyone experienced this?

The Operation:

I guess the fear of anticipation is worse than the act itself!!!

20 minutes is all it took, told it would be about 1hour. my daughter could still see but vision blurry.

The first 6 hours were a bit painful, but the anaesthetic drops did the job of slightly numbing the eye. She finally fell asleep at about 3am this morning, and her eye is appears to be healing well. She doesn't need the numb drugs, and there is no inflammation. The bag of drugs, never seen so many eye pain drops in my life, all are doing their job and there is no pain just mild irritation. From 3am to 8am she slept well and no pain. it was my worst fear, dealing with the pain, but nothing like what we imagined it to be. So very happy with the recovery so far.

So today is the second day and all is going very well. Next Saturday we return to moorfields to have the lens removed and a general check up.

So hoping your all doing well, as a mum I am relieved, never thought yesterday would arrive so quickly and now the next stage is researching more for the graft she will need end of March for her bad eye.

Take good care all

Pam

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: CXL OPERATION

Postby space_cadet » Sun 09 Feb 2014 5:02 pm

So happy tohear your daughter is doing well post cxl , she is in my thoughts x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

James_Ldn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: CXL OPERATION

Postby James_Ldn » Sun 09 Feb 2014 9:47 pm

Hi Pam,

Glad to hear it went well, must be a relief that the cross-linking is over!

Regarding the improved vision, from my own experience, my prescription fluctuated a lot for many months after the CXL. Sometimes it would seem a lot better before revering back to 'normal'. I think you probably have to wait at least 6 months afterwards to see where things are.

James,

Return to “General Discussion Forum”