Equality Act 2010 - is KC a disability?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

James_Ldn
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Equality Act 2010 - is KC a disability?

Postby James_Ldn » Sun 09 Feb 2014 9:39 pm

munster wrote:The Snellen test is a load of b****cks for KC.

I completely agree.

It's shocking that even optometrists who are generally very knowledgeable about KC, seem to over-rely on the Snellen chart when trying to understand how good or bad your vision is.

I know I've tried to explain to various optometrists that what I see on the Snellen chart doesn't really reflect on how I consider my eyesight to be in everyday life. But often it just goes in one ear and out the other! Over time I've come to realise that KC really isn't a widely understood disease at all.

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Grant » Mon 10 Feb 2014 10:14 am

Me three.

The issues with halos and ghosting are not really addressed by Snellen, in my case it's almost counter-indicative as it's the larger items such as headlights and streetlights that are problematic.

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Other

Postby Steven Williams » Tue 11 Feb 2014 5:20 pm

To be honest, I'm not convinced that cancer is automatically a disability either.

Well according to the legal rules of play Grant, the Equality Act, cancer becomes a disability upon diagnosis, as it is a also a debilitating progressive disease. So why is KC treated differently Grant?

when you become the square peg in a round hole society

Totally agree with that comment Lea (space Cadet) when KC becomes advanced/severe. It really nails it for me.

I know I've tried to explain to various optometrists that what I see on the Snellen chart doesn't really reflect on how I consider my eyesight to be in everyday life. But often it just goes in one ear and out the other! Over time I've come to realise that KC really isn't a widely understood disease at all.

Spot on James and its hardly surprising when we have no representation or one voice organisation to give us the support and help we so desperately need when the going gets tough.
"The mind is like a parachute it only operates when open"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”