Sclerals and bubbles

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Eisa
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Sclerals and bubbles

Postby Eisa » Mon 13 Jan 2014 11:42 am

Hello - still on my long and windy contact lens path - I've tried I think every size, shape and design of contact lens known to science. I tried (hard) and failed with full-size sclerals, now having another go with some sort of snazzy, smaller ones with a soft skirt. Vision results are excellent, nearly getting to 2 lines from the bottom on the chart (with 1 eye at least - the eye other scarred a bit due to hydrops). As for comfort - not sure yet. A couple of hours (or less) at a time I suppose.
My old problem (as I experienced with full-size ones) is air bubbles. There is a trick to be learned getting them inserted I know - but what might help is a fluid a bit more viscous than saline (I'm using preservative free). Anyone got any suggestions?

Bob

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Sclerals and bubbles

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 13 Jan 2014 3:20 pm

Here is what I did.

1. Fill the lens with a wetting agent. It could be saline or whatever you usually use.
2 holding the filled crucible so that the fluid does not spill, lower your eye into the brimming cup
3 Slide the lens under your eyelids.
4 Blink

Bubble free scleral lens inserted. You will displace some fluid as your eye is bathed in the wetting agent; that is unavoidable so maybe you should do the above over a basin with the plug in.

All the best.
Andrew MacLean

Eisa
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Eisa » Wed 15 Jan 2014 8:58 am

Thanks for the reply.

I came across this - it's got some good tips:

http://youtu.be/P0xO9bZsTnU

- I'm still struggling with getting the insertion bubble-free - I suppose perseverance as ever is the key!

This too:
http://artoptical.com/files/documents/r ... e_RCCL.pdf

- it mentions "For the patient who consistently loses solution prior to insertion, have him or her partially or completely fill the lens with a high-viscosity individual-use artificial tear—its increased thickness helps prevent spillage".

Bob

Violetaf
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Violetaf » Mon 16 Apr 2018 2:18 am

My mom just got her scleral lens for her left eye last month but she keeps getting air bubbles. When we went to her eye doctor for her follow up the doctor noticed that her eye has a tendency to roll when inserting the lens.Her doctor recommended the light on her plunger but not so much help. She's been trying so hard not to roll her eye but she can't help it.Any comment or suggestions on how she can stay focus on looking straight down to avoid air bubbles in her lens.

Rooh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rooh » Mon 30 Apr 2018 11:34 am

I’ve only been wearing scleral since Nov 2017. I’ve found it so frustrating at times, both inserting & removing. Even now each day is different, sometimes no problem inserting, other times pesky bubbles. For me, I have found inserting the lenses much easier with less bubble problem by using a scleral ring applicator.
And again for me, removing the lenses is now a piece of cake using a plunger rather than my fingers.
Would definitely recommend trying the scleral lenses ring for inserting. Hope this helps.

indium
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby indium » Mon 30 Apr 2018 12:45 pm

My optometrist gave me Optive Fusion as eye drops but I actually find it really good as a liquid to fill the sceral lens with, seems to 'pull' the lens into the right place better, that being said though I don't often have bubbles issues even when I use Saline.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”