Light in the way

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Light in the way

Postby jayboi2005 » Wed 24 May 2006 9:25 am

Hello All
Quick question for you, this never normally happens but today for some reason the light is really doing my head in. Its just funny its as if its in the way of my vision, makes everything a little blurry. I have no sun glasses so that isn’t the answer and I’m at work which doesn’t help either.
Does the light ever affect you?

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 24 May 2006 11:12 am

Yup, know the problem but not as bad as it used to be.

Went and got some sunglasses from a highstreet optom, plain tinted lenses which help for reading.

For the laboratory at work and out and about even darker glasses than sunglasses, they are my safety specs, see See post at bottom page 1.

Since I have been drinking more water I have backed off the eye drops and my lens wear is real long 12 hours plus uninterupted and comfort is exceptional. This has all combined with light being far less of a problem now.

Prior to dietry changes although minor, experimenting with different lens tints was the answer for me.

Sunglasses £30 from optom and safety glasses less than £10.
Gareth

Tammy Downsworth
Contributor
Contributor

Light Sensitivity

Postby Tammy Downsworth » Wed 24 May 2006 11:59 am

Yes, light sensitivity occaisionally is a problem for me, like Gareth I've found that if I make sure I drink a lot (proper water not the other kind :) ) I find it's happening less. But occasionally there's nothing that stops it or touches the pain - only tried over the counter pain killers though ....

Sometimes I've resorted to two pairs of sunglasses a dark grey polaroid pair over a brown pair underneath and that's just to be able to see enough to get home on the bus, cross a road etc.

As well as the safety specs that Gareth suggested the RNIB do over glasses in various shades which fit over prescription glasses, if you have them, or normal sunglasses for added effect. I did muse at one time as I like my theories that it was a particular frequency of light and if only you could get the right type of filtering device (coz that's what sunglasses do) then the problem would not be as bad, but it's just the sun.

I did boast that at one time I had 357 pairs of sunglasses but I've had a clear out of the scratched ones and ones that aren't dark enough, and the Elvis type vintage 70's pair went on ebay for a few hundred quid as it happens...

The only thing which stops it happening or makes it happen less frequently is keep general health good, drink plenty to make sure you are well hydrated coz that seems to make a diference, any eye drops that you use and sun glasses. Not very helpful at all, sorry.

Oh and if you have any corneal scratches/scars that may make it worse.

If only we could guarantee it won't happen at all as it's constantly at the back of yer mind if there's even a glimmer of blue in the sky (not that common in Manchester!), and sometimes even the reflections from mirrors, and puddles(which are common) get to you.

Good luck

Tam

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Wed 24 May 2006 12:18 pm

JB

One thing i might add here, if it hasn't happened before it might just be something to do with your contacts - if you are wearing them. It could range from greasing to corneal haze so if it persists I should pop back to your optician just to double check.

Lynn

Return to “General Discussion Forum”