Probably a strange question

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

mzfp2
Contributor
Contributor

Probably a strange question

Postby mzfp2 » Mon 15 May 2006 5:56 pm

Is it wise to be smoking following up to a graft? Can it affect any part of the procedure?

Thanks
Muz

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Mon 15 May 2006 6:12 pm

As a nurse and non-smoker i would have to say NO to smoking! LOL! :roll: :?

Am not sure what the effects of smoking could be, but i know that it wouldn't be good at all. Having nicotine and less oxygen going through our bodies is a sure way to cause problems and ill health.

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

mzfp2
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mzfp2 » Mon 15 May 2006 6:22 pm

Hi Sweet,

I understand that smoking is bad for ya health, I have my op in a few days, and I will NOT be smoking after the op at all! gonna lock myself in the house fopr a few weeks, my question is .. if its ok to smoke in the days running up to the op? Could it seriously affect the healing etc?

Muz

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Mon 15 May 2006 6:24 pm

Am not sure on the surgery part, you will need to ask your surgeon. But i know that it would cause problems with the anaesthetic, i would definately not smoke on the same day.

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Mon 15 May 2006 7:47 pm

Muz, I'm no expert here, but I suspect that you should try to stop as long as possible before the graft, as the fumes you're breathing in would contain carbon monoxide, which stops the blood from being useful to carry oxygen.

I guess this could very well affect the healing process from the graft.

As Sweet says though, check with your consultant.
John

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 15 May 2006 8:29 pm

Muz,

If you are going to give up in a few days, why not do it now!

Any cigs you got left, just cover them in something disgusting and bin them. That way helps avoid temptation in the early days.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 16 May 2006 6:35 am

Is it wise to be smoking?

Probably not.

In scotland, of course, you can't smoke anywhere public, trains or train stations, pubs cafes bars and restaurants, crematoria or ... well you ge the point.

All the best with your surgery. I'll sponsor you to stop smoking. spedify a charity (how about the KC group?) and I'll weigh in with £1 per week for up to six months (ie up to £26.)

Say when you start but you'll also hve to come clean if you slip back.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Tue 16 May 2006 10:08 am

Hmmm Id be asking "Is it wise to smoke at all?" :-)
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Amarpal
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Amarpal » Tue 16 May 2006 11:42 am

My brother (medical student) has told me that smoking can interfere with the healing process, but there are some exceptions... so best be wise and leave smoking for the meantime.
Amarpal

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Knight » Tue 16 May 2006 3:29 pm

I'm dying with a wicket migraine but I feel compelled to offer my 2 cents on this.

Smoking, well, we all know the health risks. But from my own personal experience, I had a graft - as most know already - DALK left eye on Jan 22nd of this year.
I smoke between 20-30 a day, not an advertisement hey, but I was short listed and had no time to plan anything but get to the hospital the night before my operation. I smoked with the nurses in their little smokeroom, and I even grabbed a quick smoke minutes before I was taken to theater. With having a local, and no other meds, just under two hours later I was back in the smokeroom - having a smoke.
Its four months now since my operation, I've healed generally above expectations, my sight and graft are fine, I've already had two problematic stitches removed (I only have 12 I think) the rest come out on Thursday.

I've smoked at my normal pace throughout that time althou I have held the cig away from my face and adapted to titling my head to prevent cig-smoke getting into the eye, but I was advised for the first week to avoid smokey environments ...

If it is a potential problem, then ok, fair enough, but it has not hindered my recovery, and right now I am sitting with a cig holding a super cold wet towel to my neck lol.
Only those with KC know the hidden beauty of a Christmas Tree.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”